Solved

Seat reservation in 1st class but 2nd class pass - Thalys

• Full steam ahead
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I had trouble booking seat reservations via the Interrail reservations page for Brussels-Paris Thalys operated train so I called the customer service and bought the reservation there. I have a global 2nd class interrail pass and I was told that they are out of 2nd class seats but can sell me the comfort seat. I said I’ll take that since I thought that maybe then I’ll just be charged with a higher fee (the reservation was 25 €). When I got the reservation via email, it said pass comfort and 1st class. Now I’m worried that can I actually use this reservation with my 2nd class pass.

icon

Best answer by Suzy 8 June 2022, 11:08

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That is right-you also have to upgrade to 1st from 2nd and this will cost an arm&leg and more-it really is meant for hi-so bisnis people on expense accounts (and daft USAers havibg read this somewhere)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This sounds like an issuing error. The operator should first have asked whether you have a 1st class pass because only then you can use a pass reservation in Thalys 1st class. Some train companies sell 1st class reservations for a 2nd class pass (at a higher price of course) but not Thalys.

Which customer service did you call? I'd call them back and request a free exchange to a train with 2nd class. (Best to check yourself which one you want, e.g. here.)

I did say that I have a 2nd class interrail pass. They said that they are out of seats for the 2nd class but can sell me a reservation for the comfort class. I called the number that was on their site: +32 70 66 77 88

I called them and they said that there was a mistake and they should not have sold those seats to me. They said that they will exchange and send new reservations for 2nd class. But they again sent me seats for the 1st class. I guess I will just have to keep calling until I get the right ones...