Solved

Seat Reservation Numbers

• 28 January 2024
  • 2 replies

I have just tried to buy 2 tickets for interrail travel, and kept having an error occurring. When my boyfriend and I did it separately, it went through. I have just received the tickets and completely forgot that we would not be sat next to each other. These are for trains that ‘seat reservations are reccomended, not required’. Does anyone know how strict these seats are? We would like to sit next to each other but don't want to incur any fines. Luckily, the seats are in the same coach, just different seat numbers. 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 January 2024, 23:31

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Optional seat reservations mean that you’re always allowed to board and won’t be denied boarding. Obviously if the seat next to you is occupied by someone else your boyfriend won’t be able to sit there. Otherwise no issues at all. This is the case in the UK where reservations are always optional (and free of charge) except on night trains + Eurostar.

These optional reservations (and most reservations honestly) are best booked outside Interrail as the website is unreliable (you experienced it!) and it adds extra fees. Sometimes you also have access to a seat map when booking through the railway company. Have a look at https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

Which connection is it ? Per our experience we might be able to tell you if it’s worth making a new reservation for 3-4€ to guarantee sitting next to each other (using the seat map for example). Or if you don’t have to worry :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can always ask the person sitting on the seat next to you if s/he can switch seats with your boyfriend.