Solved

Seat reservation on bahn.com

Hi guys, I need some help. I tried to reserve a seat for the amsterdam central-berlin hbf night train for 19/10. The interrail booking site told me that it was not possible to reserve a seat, even though a reservation was not required. I booked on bahn.com, even at a lower price, and had no problem booking a seat. Do you know the bahn.com site is reliable and is this reservation still valid?
icon

Best answer by Angelo 8 October 2022, 18:33

View original

34 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

You did not follow my instructions:

go to tickets.oebb.at, add the Interrail/Eurail discount, and then select "One-way tickets and day tickets”. Do NOT use "Seat reservation only”.

Sorry.

The OEBB works. They didn’t charge me. But didn’t give a seat number either.

Sorry, it did. I didn’t click on the details.

Should l just show my validated Pass to gather with the reservation ticket on the train?

No problem - on all trains you show your validated pass with the train listed below the QR code for that travel day. If mandatory reservations needed you also show the evidence - usually your pdf or voucher issued if booked at the station. If reservations are optional (as on DBahn) you only need to use them to find your seat and eject squatters.

Also if you do not like the direction of travel you can always swap seats if empty ones available - but you may be ejected at a later station if reserved from there.

Badge

No problem - on all trains you show your validated pass with the train listed below the QR code for that travel day. If mandatory reservations needed you also show the evidence - usually your pdf or voucher issued if booked at the station. If reservations are optional (as on DBahn) you only need to use them to find your seat and eject squatters.

Also if you do not like the direction of travel you can always swap seats if empty ones available - but you may be ejected at a later station if reserved from there.

Thanks Yorkie! If I didn’t use the reservation, due to changed plan or just simple missed the train. What would happen?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nothing will happen, 99% of the time they won't even ask for your seat reservation. It cannot get refunded (but it is free anyway) and is not valid for the next train

Simply make another one if you'd like

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Should l just show my validated Pass to gather with the reservation ticket on the train?

Ticket inspectors are not interested in optional reservations.

Badge

Ticket inspectors are not interested in optional reservations.

But should I still get the seat?

Badge

Nothing will happen, 99% of the time they won't even ask for your seat reservation. It cannot get refunded (but it is free anyway) and is not valid for the next train

That’s good! Thanks!

Badge

Does DB site also have free reservation function?

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Does DB site also have free reservation function?

Only if you book a 1st class ticket via DB. With a pass no. But ÖBB (Austrian railways - oebb.at) do it for first class. You search for a train - one way ticket option (not seat only) and add Interrail/Eurail as discount.

Badge

Understand! Thanks Angelo!