Solved

seat reservation query in Switzerland :-) Scenic trains

• 21 March 2023
  • 9 replies

If the statement ‘no seat reservation required’ comes up, but you would still like to reserve seats, how do you go about that? I have tried a number of options, but can’t seem to access the opportunity to reserve seats unless it is recommended. I have tried on both the mobile app and the website.  (We have mobile Eurail Passes.) Thanks in advance for your help.

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 21 March 2023, 07:49

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There should be a "See prices” link if reservation is possible and there won’t be if reservations are not possible. Most trains have no reservations at all. If you give details (route, date, departure time), then people can say whether reservations are possible and where best to book them.

The app can't book reservations, it can only forward to some of the websites where you can book, including the Eurail website.

Reservations are most likely cheaper elsewhere because Eurail charge extra fees. See:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

And this thread:

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Let us know the route. If it is a regional train, no reservations are possible at all.

And for example it is a waste of money to book seat reservations in Switzerland : plenty of trains and capacity usually + as nobody makes reservation, you might find someone very surprised that he's sitting on your seat and needs to move...

Let us know the route. If it is a regional train, no reservations are possible at all.

And for example it is a waste of money to book seat reservations in Switzerland : plenty of trains and capacity usually + as nobody makes reservation, you might find someone very surprised that he's sitting on your seat and needs to move...

Thank you. That is helpful.  I have been looking at Swiss routes. This is good to know.

There should be a "See prices” link if reservation is possible and there won’t be if reservations are not possible. Most trains have no reservations at all. If you give details (route, date, departure time), then people can say whether reservations are possible and where best to book them.

The app can't book reservations, it can only forward to some of the websites where you can book, including the Eurail website.

Reservations are most likely cheaper elsewhere because Eurail charge extra fees. See:

https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

And this thread:

Thank you. This is a plethora of useful info and links. Much appreciated.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome.

Please use the SBB app when you're there : it gives you train tracks, delays, compositions of most trains + how busy each carriage should be. Very useful !

Let me know for any advice about trains, especially in Switzerland. I could tell you how busy that train might be (from experience) or anything else :)

You're welcome.

Please use the SBB app when you're there : it gives you train tracks, delays, compositions of most trains + how busy each carriage should be. Very useful !

Let me know for any advice about trains, especially in Switzerland. I could tell you how busy that train might be (from experience) or anything else :)

Thank you again. I will definitely use the SBB app. Our primary routes in Switzerland will be Chur to Riggenberg and then Riggenberg to Zurich in early July this year, with six adults.  Really appreciate your assistance.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I believe you mean Ringgenberg near Interlaken ?

The SBB app is really useful but it will show the quickest journey (as it should !), not the most scenic. You can add "via x or y town" in any case.

To simplify my message I selected Interlaken instead of Ringgenberg. There is an hourly train to Ringgenberg or buses (not covered) or some boats (covered)

Chur - Ringgenberg :

Quickest journey :

- Chur - Zürich HB - Bern - Interlaken Ost : 3h20, usually twice per hour

More scenic :

- Chur - Pfäffikon SZ (45 min wait) - Lucerne (45 min wait or more) - Interlaken Ost : 5h40 total

Even more scenic :

- Chur - Disentis/Mustér - Andermatt (part of the Glacier Express route, on regular trains) - Göschenen - Lucerne - Interlaken Ost 7h

- Chur - Disentis/Mustér - Andermatt - Brig (almost whole Glacier Express route) - Spiez - Interlaken Ost 6h

These last 2 options might seem quite long but they have amazing scenery across the Alps (almost as good as the Bernina Railway !) and you can always decide to strech your legs somewhere en-route.

Ringgenberg - Zurich :

Quickest journey :

- Interlaken Ost - Bern - Zurich 2h (direct sometimes or with an easy connection in Bern)

More scenic :

- Interlaken Ost - Lucerne - Zurich 2h45

Scenic and lesser known :

- Interlaken Ost - Bern - Lucerne (RE train, not the IR15) - Zurich 3h18

All train connections in Switzerland are at least hourly, in many cases there are 2 trains per hour. As seat reservations are not needed, you can decide on the day to choose which route you prefer ! That's a great thing about a Eurail pass : flexibility !

I believe you mean Ringgenberg near Interlaken ?

The SBB app is really useful but it will show the quickest journey (as it should !), not the most scenic. You can add "via x or y town" in any case.

To simplify my message I selected Interlaken instead of Ringgenberg. There is an hourly train to Ringgenberg or buses (not covered) or some boats (covered)

Chur - Ringgenberg :

Quickest journey :

- Chur - Zürich HB - Bern - Interlaken Ost : 3h20, usually twice per hour

More scenic :

- Chur - Pfäffikon SZ - Lucerne - Interlaken Ost

Even more scenic :

- Chur - Disentis/Mustér - Andermatt - Göschenen - Lucerne - Interlaken Ost

Ringgenberg - Zurich :

Quickest journey :

- Interlaken Ost - Bern - Zurich 2h (direct sometimes or with an easy connection in Bern)

More scenic :

- Interlaken Ost - Lucerne - Zurich

Scenic and lesser known :

- Interlaken Ost - Bern - Lucerne (RE train, not the IR15) - Zurich 

All train connections in Switzerland are at least hourly, in many cases there are 2 trains per hour. As seat reservations are not needed, you can decide on the day to choose which route you prefer ! That's a great thing about a Eurail pass : flexibility !

fabulous. I hadnt even thought of what might be the most scenic…. and we definitely would like to prioritise that. SO I will check out that last option you mentioned. :-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You're welcome !

I edited my post too, now it should be complete :)