Solved

Seat reservations

Badge

I need some help. I have a first class pass for July and August. I am travelling to several countries and when I look at booking seat reservations, a lot are green and state ready to book - no seat reservation required. For the longer trips I would like to reserve a seat to be on the safe side even though it states it isn’t necessary. I have just discovered one train has said prices unavailable - pass holder reservations may be sold out. Does this mean even though we don’t need to book a seat and we are ready to board that there may be no seat available at all? I have been regularly checking so I can book at the earliest time possible. I don’t feel comfortable just winging it.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 2 June 2023, 09:33

View original

24 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

With a 1st class pass you get free optional seat reservations in Germany, Austria, Czechia, Hungary and some other countries through tickets.oebb.at : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. I'd do that for peace of mind.

Prices unavailable can mean a lot of things : usually it's that this train cannot be booked through eurail.com/interrail.eu. Which route are you looking at ?

If you want precise advice, let us know the route, date and departure time

Badge

Thank you. It only gives me the option to put my name in (not for my parter - adult two). Does this matter?

Badge

Oh and I was looking at salburg-Budapest;  Budapest - Prague; Prague - Munich.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nope it's usual to only put one name. Don't worry about that :) Ticket inspectors won't be interested in seeing your seat reservation, you only make them for peace of mind (and for squatters)

Salzburg - Budapest and Budapest - Prague can be done free of charge through tickets.oebb.at

Not sure about Prague - Munich (will have a look)

Badge

Thanks so much for all your help. I appreciate it. So we don’t even need to show the seat reservations and if empty we can sit anywhere (not just in the obb assigned seats)?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Exactly you've understood it all :)

Btw for Prague - Munich it seems that you can only make seat reservations for the Czech leg of the journey, to Domazlice (again through OBB). It won't be a problem to keep your seats for the remainder of the journey

Badge

So book the two tickets separately? It says tickets not avail on the whole Prague to Munich trip, so should I do two seperate bookings for each leg.

Badge

Oh I get what you mean. Just book the Prague to domazlice tickets through obb and stay on the train for the duration of the way to Munich.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You add the Prague - Munich train to the app before boarding (like usual).

You book a free seat reservation between Prague and Domazlice through tickets.oebb.at. After Domazlice you stay on the same seats.

Seat reservations are optional in Czechia and apparently not possible at all on this train in Germany.

Edit : exactly ;)

Badge

Do you mean the rail planner app?

ast question. If I book through OBB for a particular train it says thickets non refundable. If we choose to go on an earlier train that day will it matter or are we tied to that train?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes exactly Rail Planner in order to get a QR-code (your ticket).

Seat reservations are indeed non-refundable and tied to a train but as they cost nothing for 1st class passholders, simply make new ones if you change your mind.

Btw no need to book those trains long in advance, a few days in advance shouldn't be a problem

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Prague-Munich can only be booked 30 days in advance. Should be free of charge in 1st class via tickets.oebb.at.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@rvdborgt thanks for the advice but I'm not able to make one for any date in June. Could you share a screenshot or let me know how you managed ?

Badge

Badge

So I went to Obb just to have a look. I selected one way tickets (not seat reservations), and it asked me to select which class. I selected first class and then seat reservation. It seems I’ve booked seat for this train? It said I could book 180 days out for this train. Again, I guess it doesn’t matter if I did the wrong thing as I can book more.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This would only book the train between Nuremberg and Munich (not the direct Prague - Munich which is only available 30 days in advance it seems).

3€ per person is the usual price for seat reservations (1st or 2nd class) through tickets.oebb.at. But you should be able to get them free of charge as you've got a 1st class pass

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you add the Interrail/Eurail discount, choose "One-way tickets” and then select Reservation and 1st class, then you should get a free reservation in 1st class:

Also note that the 19:37 train from Nuremberg is a regional train for which reservations are not available, so I'm not sure what you booked there.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

@rvdborgt are you able to do that for Prague - Munich though ? I've tried various dates in June and it doesn't seem to work... (neither one-way ticket with discount or seat reservation only)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@rvdborgt are you able to do that for Prague - Munich though ? I've tried various dates in June and it doesn't seem to work... (neither one-way ticket with discount or seat reservation only)

No indeed, neither method seems to work. It did work at some point last year, at least using "Reservation only”. It doesn't even work on cd.cz, so I suspect there's some problem.

Badge

If I can’t book tickets what are my chances of not even worrying to book seats? It states I don’t need to - and says I’m good to board. I Know it’s best to book ahead with trains in Italy for example, I believe Prague and Munich aren’t as busy. Would I be ok to book say two or three days before at the station?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If I can’t book tickets what are my chances of not even worrying to book seats? It states I don’t need to - and says I’m good to board. I Know it’s best to book ahead with trains in Italy for example, I believe Prague and Munich aren’t as busy. Would I be ok to book say two or three days before at the station?

It shouldn't be a problem to get a reservation at the station a few days in advance. They're optional anyway for this train.

Please note that you already have a ticket (your pass) and only want a reservation.

Badge

Me again. The issue seems to be Domazlice to Munich that alludes to having no seats (see picture). This particular train can be booked 180 days in advance so I’m thinking it’s booked? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

No, no single train is fully booked so far in advance. Especially if you have a rather frequent connection like between Prague and München that’s sheer impossible.

Bookings are not open yet anyway (opens two months in advance in Czechia.)

• It’s an optional reservation. Trying via CD.cz still gives a seat reservation of 0 CZK, so I just think that it’s not possible to reserve via web atm.
  • Just a technical problem. When in Czechia, try to book a seat at the ticket office. Trains really don’t sell out that quickly. Cause sundays in summer can be rather busy and you might want the peace of mind to have a seat for your own.
Userlevel 7
Badge +9

This train can be booked only 30 days in advance, at least that was the case last year.