Solved

seat resetvation for sleeper train from zurich to budapest

• 2 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hi, after I got the Global Pass, how to make reservation for sleeper train from Zurich to Budapest on 11 September? 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 2 August 2023, 12:29

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

tickets.oebb.at should work : add Interrail/Eurail as a discount and select one-way tickets. You'll only pay accommodation price.

EDIT : I'm not able to book to Budapest on ÖBB for an unknown reason (other days work). The same train (but only as far as Vienna) has seats and couchettes available, no sleepers left.

However another night train to Vienna (21:02 - 07:58) has more types of accommodation available. Then you can buy a cheap advance ticket for Vienna - Budapest on 12th September on jegy.mav.hu : 13-20€. Have a margin in Vienna. You could also use a second pass day but not really good value.

It shows the ticket is not available, how to make a reservation? 
(I did add global pass and chose day ticket) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hmmm, maybe some uncertainty in the planning? Because of some railway engineering works.

Best ask ÖBB what’s the issue there to book that train on 11/09, as all other nighttrains on other days seem perfectly bookable.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As said it only works as far as Vienna. Maybe due to engineering works yeah.

You need to search for Zürich HB to Budapest Kelenföld (not Keleti) to get a reservation with ÖBB.

Here it is possible to get a reservation from Zürich HB to Budapest Keleti: MÁV-START new online ticketing Beta (mav.hu) (choose “Bérlet (pl.InterRail)” as discount). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

tickets.oebb.at sometimes fails to book random trains. Maybe it has something to do with timetables that haven't been updated yet (or not correctly). tickets.oebb.at also seems to be updated/maintained separately from fahrplan.oebb.at; tickets.oebb.at is often updated later.

Sometimes, nightjet.com is still able to book a reservation, but in this case it fails as soon as I add the pass discount.

For me, tickets.oebb.at does give pass prices from Zürich HB to Budapest-Keleti on 11 September: