Solved

Shows there's a train from Hungary to Budapest on the rail map, but can't find these!

• 16 June 2022
  • 7 replies

Hi there, 

After planning based on the interrail rail map, we were planning on catching the train from Budapest to Belgrade. It says on the map that this is a 7hr30 day train. However, I cannot find it on the rail planner, yet it doesn’t says that Serbian trains should be available on the app. Furthermore, when i try to google the train I can’t find anything. The same issue occurs from the train from Belgrade to Sofia… Please can someone explain whether we can take these trains, and if so how/where do we book them? 

Thank you! 

icon

Best answer by seewulf 16 June 2022, 13:58

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Budapest - Belgrade is not in operation since 2019 due counstruction works (nobody knows when the train returns)

Belgrade - Sofia is suspended since Covid and currently suspended due trackrenovation arround Nis :)

Only International service from Belgrade is the train to Podgorica - Bar in Montenegro.

At least Budapest to Beograd is possible with (many) changes.  

Thank you both very much! does this mean that the rail map in general isn’t totally reliable? 

Perhaps you may also be able to help me with another question: can we take train routes that aren’t displayed on the railway map page? for example, within montenegro, instead of just the one night train in montenegro? or between areas in croatia instead of just Zagreb-Split? 

thanks! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you both very much! does this mean that the rail map in general isn’t totally reliable? 

Perhaps you may also be able to help me with another question: can we take train routes that aren’t displayed on the railway map page? for example, within montenegro, instead of just the one night train in montenegro? or between areas in croatia instead of just Zagreb-Split? 

thanks! 

The map is just to get an idea where you could travel. You can take 99% of the trains that are operated by companies in the Eurail/Interrail System. They advertise more than 40,000 different stops that can be reached by the passes,

https://www.interrail.eu/en/plan-your-trip/tips-and-tricks/trains-europe

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The countries themselves are in theory responsible for giving and maintaining the info, but many are indeed quite sloppy in this. Its an century old grown type of respect that railway A will never ever say railway B has it wrong and then this remains for ages.

Indeed several maps Ive seen in the past were completely out of order. I dare say things that railways and those funny railfans do not like so much-after many years of experience.

Thank you! Would anyone also be able to tell me about the railway connection between Sofia and Skopje? Again, another one that we had planned but now don’t seem to be able to progress with… 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thank you! Would anyone also be able to tell me about the railway connection between Sofia and Skopje? Again, another one that we had planned but now don’t seem to be able to progress with… 

Sofia - Skopje have no rail connection :/ In the past you had to go either via Nis or Thessaloniki But all 3 services are suspended. Belgrade - Nis - Skopje - Thessaloniki, Belgrade - Nis - Dimitrovograd - Sofia & Thessaloniki - Sofia.
The Railline between North Macedona & Bulgaria is currently in planning. (Still will take several years till you find a train on the route)