Sleeper Edinburgh - London. Any way to avoid two travel days?

Badge

I am trying to book a sleeper from Edinburgh to London bu can I avoid the 20 mins of the night I leave being counted as a day of my pass? I leave 23.40..the app seeems to suggest I book it from the next station but I cant do that at a booking office

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

sleeper.scot is the site Will only offer sleepers to passholders and the recline seats not.  Sleepers are some 120GBP!!

BUT it has-this is the island where everything has to happen in another way, uses anOTHER rule-the old rule in fact. You have to use the NEXT=arrival day written, thus your prob is solved! And you can plan a very long onward trip next morning.

Badge

Sorry I dont understand how I can book the train for the next day?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The answer is that there is a unique rule for Britain that the night trains uses the day of the arrival of the train as the travel day. In the rest of Europe it is the departure day that is the travel day for a night train. In your case the the travel day for your night train will be the day of the arrival in London, which is what you want.

Badge

Excellent...thanks...now if I could just get the app to accept my login!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Excellent...thanks...now if I could just get the app to accept my login!

Which login? Do you have a screenshot?

Badge

when I use laptop to access Interrail site- have changed password and it wont then accept it

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ah right that's not the app… can't help you there I'm afraid.

Instructions to book this sleeper can be found here. Do check the price of a normal ticket because that can be cheaper than a pass reservation.

The timetable in the app is incorrect in suggesting you have to change in Carstairs. That is a direct train of course.