Solved

Strasbourg to Florence

Hi!

We are hoping to travel from Strasbourg to Florence in early July.

We have seen the train from Strasbourg to Basel exists and doesn’t need booking.

However, when looking on the Eurail app, the train from Basel to Milan was ~12 hours, whereas on Trainline, it was ~4. We are worried that the faster train doesn’t come under the interrail pass, please help if you know.

From Milan to Florence, we could find a train with Trenitalia however, once again, there was nothing on the app. For Trenitalia, we can’t add our interrail pass, so we don’t know if we need to book or not.

We would super grateful for any help!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 8 March 2023, 18:40

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please don't use the rail planner app to plan. It is not reliable and often out of date. The same is true for the Eurail website.

National websites, such as the SBB or Trenitalia websites, are much more reliable, or for international planning, the Deutsche Bahn website or DB Navigator app.

Basel-Milan should indeed take a bit more than 4 hours and your pass is normally valid, with a reservation for the train to Italy. 12 hours sounds like a long detour, probably caused by incomplete timetables. If you want to have a more precise answer, then please mention date and departure time.

Thank you so much for your help, annoying the app isn't accurate.

We plan to leave Strasbourg in the early morning on 3rd July, stopping in Basel for an hour or so before reaching Florence before dark, if you have any specific ideas

Do you know if there is anyway to definitively check whether a Trenitalia train is valid with the pass?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The direct connection Basel-Milan does exist ! Italy hasn't updated its summer timetable yet but you could check for a random day.

It'll surely look like this :

- TER Strasbourg - Basel SBB 08:51 - 10:08

- EC Basel SBB 10:28 - Milano Centrale 14:40 (11€ reservation fee on ÖBB)

- Frecciarossa Milano Centrale 15:10 - Firenze S.M.N. 17:04 (10€ fee)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is at least an hourly train between Strasbourg and Basel. The journey is fast, the train travels at 200 km/h !

If you want to see Basel a bit, I guess you'll take the 12:28 Eurocity train.

All Trenitalia trains are valid (except Paris - Milan which you won't use) but keep in mind that you need a seat reservation on high-speed trains (10€) and on Intercity trains (3€) within Italy. It's 11€ between Switzerland and Italy.

These reservations are best bought on oebb.at but I believe you're too early right now.

Thank you all so much!

My friend and I are feeling rather out of our depth so your speedy replies helped put us at ease. Thanks!