Solved

Strasbourg to Geneva with TER - Reservations needed?

• 18 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Im going from strasbourg to Geneva on Wednesday Dec 21st. It says seat reservations are optional and available. Should i make one? Or no? If I don’t make one, what happens? And how will I know which seats on the train are taken and reserved and which one I can sit on?

thanks!

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 18 December 2022, 23:35

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

On the TER Strasbourg-Basel you can’t make any seat reservations. Within Switzerland you can, but I generally haven’t had much issue with reservations - to be fair I’ve usually travelled there during Summer holidays, not sure how it is now. Generally, unless you’re with a few passengers and want to sit together, you should be able to just get on board and find a free seat. Plus, as the TER’s aren’t extremely reliable it’s possible you’ll miss your reserved itinerary anyway.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hardly anyone makes reservations on these trains so you just take any free seat. If seats are reserved there should be a sign with information about the reservation above the seat.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This system of labelled seats applies to about anywhere in EUR when RES is not mandatory-and yes, I understand this is far from practice like it is on VIA or ONR in Canuckyland. And also yes-well over 90% of all trains running in EUR do not even have any chance to RES just like f.e. the GOtrains around Tronno or those into Vancouver. As a rough rule less as 50% of seats offered are occupied-but this varies enormously per line, time of day time of yr etc. These eternal fear about full trains are overhyped nonsense-except for a very few that about any new passuser seems to want to use.