Solved

Strike in Germany - use pass on later day

• 8 December 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge +2

I have been caught up in the very last minute German train strike today (I assume like many other travelers). Does anyone know if DB will automatically accept passes valid for today when travelling tomorrow/next day?

The DB website says all DB and international tickets for today are valid for future dates, no need to do anything, but doesn’t specifically mention rail passes.

I was booked to travel today Chur-Basel-Stuttgart. I have an active travel day for today but have not been able to get any trains from Basel to Stuttgart. I don’t hold out any hope of further compensation/ hotels etc but will I at least be able to use pass for onward travel and just show old activated day?

icon

Best answer by Al_G 8 December 2023, 16:46

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes.

Do as you suggested, show the activated strike day on the pass with the cancelled trains listed, do not activate an extra day that you weren’t planning to use.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I don’t hold out any hope of further compensation/ hotels etc but will I at least be able to use pass for onward travel and just show old activated day?

A strike is no different than another disruption. You are entitled to overnight accommodation, to be provided by the operator where you're stranded.

Badge +2

As an update on this, I used the pass activated for previous day on ICE and IC trains no problem, they just accepted.

I asked about accommodation, both SBB (I was stuck in Switzerland with no DB trains leaving) and DB offices said no way, they don’t offer! Is this something you can retro-claim from DB after? I am always confused about what rules apply for this when there is disruption / cancelled last trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

If you have receipts for your accommodation, you can attempt to claim it from DB. Mention that you were stranded in Basel and were refused a hotel when you asked SBB and DB.

https://www.bahn.de/wmedia/view/mdb/media/intern/fahrgastrechteformular-englisch.pdf

I wouldn't expect them to agree, though. I made a claim for alternative transport when a cancelled DB train meant I missed my last train. They forwarded my claim to Eurail, who queried it with me because they’d already paid out the delay portion (but not the extra expenses portion). And eventually I gave up chasing it - which I suspect is exactly what they want.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I wouldn't expect them to agree, though. I made a claim for alternative transport when a cancelled DB train meant I missed my last train. They forwarded my claim to Eurail, who queried it with me because they’d already paid out the delay portion (but not the extra expenses portion). And eventually I gave up chasing it - which I suspect is exactly what they want.

Well, the operator at the place where you're stranded is supposed to offer accommodation. If they don't, then it's not clearly specified who has to reimburse for it afterwards. (Who ultimately pays for it is another matter, but of no concern to the customer). DB (and some other operators) say the ticket seller should reimburse and Eurail say the operator should do it. There are arguments for both sides. If they start to point at each other, then I'd file a complaint with a conciliation body such as söp (for Germany), or the ODR as specified in the booking conditions. Or the national enforcement body. Someone has to pay but as it stands, some of the players are pointing at each other.

In this case IMO, SBB should have arranged accommodation.

As to alternative transportation, Eurail have recently changed their policy and now offer to reimburse "unavoidable costs incurred in order to reach the original destination”, see the Delay compensation Policy.

I find it a disgrace that the rail sector (this includes Eurail BV) can't agree on a procedure to reimburse reasonable accommodation costs when no accommodation is offered where people are stranded.

@Camilo. @Mukhammad @Sarah W Is any progress being made in this area?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@rvdborgt Thank you for tagging us related to this matter.

Hi @justin1123, according to the system I can only see you sent the request to our customer service team related on other matters (via the email you registered in the community). Please reach our customer service team again by explaining this matter, so they'll be able to provide you with a feasible solution. Thank you! 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have been caught up in the very last minute German train strike today (I assume like many other travelers). Does anyone know if DB will automatically accept passes valid for today when travelling tomorrow/next day?

The DB website says all DB and international tickets for today are valid for future dates, no need to do anything, but doesn’t specifically mention rail passes.

I was booked to travel today Chur-Basel-Stuttgart. I have an active travel day for today but have not been able to get any trains from Basel to Stuttgart. I don’t hold out any hope of further compensation/ hotels etc but will I at least be able to use pass for onward travel and just show old activated day?

Ich persönlich würde das Fahrgastrechteformular ausfüllen(geht auch online).

Desweiteren gehe ich davon aus,das die Bahn das Ticket vom Streiktag auch einen Tag später akzeptiert,da es ja streng genommen ein Flexticket ist&sogar SuperSparpreise am Folgetag ihre Gültigkeit behalten.