Solved

Struggling to find the night train from Thessaloniki to Belgrade

• 17 February 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello everyone,

My friends and I are planning an interrail trip for this summer (4th-28th July)!

We found on lots of websites (e.g rail.cc) the mention of a night train from Thessaloniki to Belgrade on an interrail line, but on the official interrail website can only find the Belgrade to Thessaloniki night-train (Hellas express)!

Ideally we want the reverse route of this train. Does anyone know if it exists, like other websites state, or alternatives if it no longer does?

Thank you,

Lexi

icon

Best answer by Womble 17 February 2022, 09:53

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

This service is currently suspended and nobody knows when this train returns. Maybe you have luck and the train returns in summer, otherwise there are no trains from Serbia to North Macedonia / Greece :/

I suggest to travel from Belgrad to Niš, and from there take a bus to Thessaloniki

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Better to take a direct bus all the way. Do NOT mess around with impossible connections, going all the way across town to find a busstation (though it has to be said in old Yugoslavija these are often ar more modern and better equipped as ailing antique trainstops), and there is a reason why there are hardly any trains over there: rails have not been updated since Yugo fell apart, nor have most wagons/trains.

Chance this train will return this summer: very slim to nil.

About anyone who wants to travel overland to GR nowadays goes via ITaly and ferry from there.

This service is currently suspended and nobody knows when this train returns. Maybe you have luck and the train returns in summer, otherwise there are no trains from Serbia to North Macedonia / Greece :/

I suggest to travel from Belgrad to Niš, and from there take a bus to Thessaloniki

Thank you very much, we’re in fact trying to do the other way (from Thessaloniki to Belgrade). This is actually in the hopes of them getting a bus to Sarajevo! Do you have any other suggestions for getting to Sarajevo from Thessaloniki - or Athens? 

Better to take a direct bus all the way. Do NOT mess around with impossible connections, going all the way across town to find a busstation (though it has to be said in old Yugoslavija these are often ar more modern and better equipped as ailing antique trainstops), and there is a reason why there are hardly any trains over there: rails have not been updated since Yugo fell apart, nor have most wagons/trains.

Chance this train will return this summer: very slim to nil.

About anyone who wants to travel overland to GR nowadays goes via ITaly and ferry from there.

Thank you very much for the advice. We were actually trying to get to Sarajevo from Thessaloniki and trying to connect in Belgrade with this night train and a direct bus from Belgrade! However the direct bus from Thessaloniki to Belgrade costs more than we would like. Do you have any other suggestions for how we do Thessaloniki- Sarajevo? 

Hi, I am msinformed by interrail that promisses me a nighttrain from thessaloniki to belgrade. This is 1 of the reasons we decided to travel from bari to athens to thessaloniki to belgrade bij train. I bought to monthly passes for this. Now there are no trains available from thessaloniki to skopje, from thessaloniki to sofia and from thessaloniki to belgrade, or from skopje to sofia to belgrade ....

I have to travel by bus, which not only cost me 2 extra tickets, bu also will highly increase the pain in my back.

I will ask for a resistution for the extta costs I have to make because of tbe false promisses you make on your online app. 

I thought I could not find this train in the app because to many people ate using the interail app, as you mention yourself.

This is  just highly inconvenient and not at all good for my travelbudget. 

Best regards, H. Verhoeve

Here is some more misinformation about this nighttrain:

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I’m sorry that this happen to you, but not all trains travel it depends from the train companies.

rail.cc is not a official website, and on the information site about travel disruptions in Europe of interrail.eu there are all information about trains that do no run and also on the websites of the train companies that run the trains.

Travel disruptions in Europe (interrail.eu)

For further help about Compensation you can ask directly customer service:

Submit a request – Eurail Knowledge Base