Solved

Suggestions for Lucerne, Interlaken, Zermatt with Global Eurail Pass

• 20 February 2024
  • 1 reply

Hi,
Firstly, lucky to have this forum. Thanks for doing this wonderful job and making our trips easy and worthwhile!

My partner and I are traveling to Switzerland from 19th to 23rd July. We are planning to buy a Eurail Global Pass as we intend to travel to other European countries too. I have a few questions about three of my trips here –

1. We are planning to do the Golden Round Trip from Lucerne on the 20th of July (Saturday). What journies here are covered totally under the Global Eurail Pass? Bearing in mind that it is a weekend in July, should I make reservations in advance? If I have to book individual tickets for each of the rides, what is the best website to book it from? (Boat to Alpnachstad –> cogwheel train to Pilatus –> Cable Car to Kriens –> Bus to Lucerne)Any other tips and tricks for this particular trip, please?

Not able to figure out from this page https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/swiss-private-trains-benefits/ maybe the term language and place names are different?

2. Intend to do Lake Thun combined with Niederhorn on the 21st of July (Sunday)Again a weekend, my bad! Interlaken West to Beatenbucht by Bus –> Beatenbucht to Beatenberg by Funicular –> Cable car up to the Niederhorn.Same way back except take a boat from Beatenbucht to Interlaken. If we find time, see St Beaten Caves from Beatenbucht and then return to Interlaken.

Again similar questions – what journies here are covered totally under the Global Eurail Pass? Should I make reservations in advance? If I have to book individual tickets for each of the rides, what is the best website to book it from? Any other tips and tricks for this particular trip, please?

3. Definitely want to do Zermatt on the 22nd - travel to Venice via Domodossola the next day or overnight in a short time without much hassle.
When is the train schedule likely to be out?

4. Venice vs Milan?
Not a fan of visitng a lot of cathedrals. Which city would be best to relaxe, look around the city and find good restaurants?

I apologize for the lengthy message, I am aware it is a lot of questions and a hell lot of information. It is our first time outside Australia and India. I humbly request your time in providing me with your valuable guidance.

icon

Best answer by Hektor 20 February 2024, 06:55

View original

1 reply

Hi,
Firstly, lucky to have this forum. Thanks for doing this wonderful job and making our trips easy and worthwhile!

My partner and I are traveling to Switzerland from 19th to 23rd July. We are planning to buy a Eurail Global Pass as we intend to travel to other European countries too. I have a few questions about three of my trips here –

1. We are planning to do the Golden Round Trip from Lucerne on the 20th of July (Saturday). What journies here are covered totally under the Global Eurail Pass? Bearing in mind that it is a weekend in July, should I make reservations in advance? If I have to book individual tickets for each of the rides, what is the best website to book it from? (Boat to Alpnachstad –> cogwheel train to Pilatus –> Cable Car to Kriens –> Bus to Lucerne)Any other tips and tricks for this particular trip, please?

Not able to figure out from this page https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/swiss-private-trains-benefits/ maybe the term language and place names are different?

You do get 50% on every means of transport here. No need to book in advance (I'd not do this trip on a day with bad weather). https://www.pilatus.ch/en/discover/golden-round-trip

If you do scroll down on the benefitsportal linked by you it's the penultimate offer.

2. Intend to do Lake Thun combined with Niederhorn on the 21st of July (Sunday)Again a weekend, my bad! Interlaken West to Beatenbucht by Bus –> Beatenbucht to Beatenberg by Funicular –> Cable car up to the Niederhorn.Same way back except take a boat from Beatenbucht to Interlaken. If we find time, see St Beaten Caves from Beatenbucht and then return to Interlaken.

Again similar questions – what journies here are covered totally under the Global Eurail Pass? Should I make reservations in advance? If I have to book individual tickets for each of the rides, what is the best website to book it from? Any other tips and tricks for this particular trip, please?

Just the ship is included (if you will have an activated travel day). But if you do stay in Interlaken and do hold a guest card, the bus is free and you do get a reduction for the cable car. https://www.interlaken.ch/en/info-service/gaestekarten/interlaken-guest-card

3. Definitely want to do Zermatt on the 22nd - travel to Venice via Domodossola the next day or overnight in a short time without much hassle.
When is the train schedule likely to be out?

Not known yet. Trenitalia does begin to publish long distance trains right now but on this route nothing is published yet.

4. Venice vs Milan?
Not a fan of visitng a lot of cathedrals. Which city would be best to relaxe, look around the city and find good restaurants?

Definetely Venezia.

I apologize for the lengthy message, I am aware it is a lot of questions and a hell lot of information. It is our first time outside Australia and India. I humbly request your time in providing me with your valuable guidance.