Sweden - Norway (Finland?)

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hello!

I am already on the road (railway) heading to Stockholm. I would to visit both Sweden and Norway and enjoy the landscape that offer a railway travel. I planned, for now, this simple route:

Stockholm - Oslo - Bergen - Oslo - Trondheim - Bodo - Oslo - Malmo - Copenaghen

I was thinking also to do the route Stockholm - Narvik, but it seems like very long and with no interesting intermediate stops.  Do you recommend it anyway? What about Finland?

I was able to book with SJ to get in Sweden. 
About Norway is it true that is it possible to reserve only by phone(Entur)?
On the app I see ALL trains need a reservations, is it correct?

Thank you :D 

11 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes reservations are generally needed.

- sj.se for Stockholm - Oslo (and Narvik - Stockholm)

- entur.no use the chat function

Do not book via interrail.eu/eurail.com, there is 12€ fee per train... (because they mail paper reservations)

I'd really do the journey via Narvik. Very very worth it ! Bus Bodø - Narvik and then night train to Stockholm or other options

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes reservations are generally needed.

- sj.se for Stockholm - Oslo (and Narvik - Stockholm)

- entur.no use the chat function

Do not book via interrail.eu/eurail.com, there is 12€ fee per train... (because they mail paper reservations)

I'd really do the journey via Narvik. Very very worth it ! Bus Bodø - Narvik and then night train to Stockholm or other options

Thank you!

So I could do Stockholm - Narvik and the Narvik -Bodo by bus, then coming down stopping in Trondheim. Looks perfect. Is there a particular bus company? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes there is a public company : https://www.reisnordland.com/

2 daily buses for around 500 NOK

Book the night train to Narvik in advance, I do not know how availability is like in May

The night train schedule is fantastic : 18:10 - 12:35. You get to see all the best scenery in the morning

We just finished most of this trip and it is really beautiful! If you have the time I would also recommend visiting the Lofoten. You can buy a traveler pass with Nordland that gives you the opportunity to take the bus/express boat for 7 days. 

Our trip:

• Narvik to Svolvaer
  • Different towns on the Lofoten
  • Svolvaer - Bodø (by express ferry)

If you have further questions regarding all the routes except the one to Bergen, just ask! Prepare to so much snow next to the railway 😍

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Thank you!

So I could do Stockholm - Narvik and the Narvik -Bodo by bus, then coming down stopping in Trondheim. Looks perfect. Is there a particular bus company? 

You might also consider Narvik-Moskenes by bus (down through the Lofoten Island for some different scenery) and then Moskenes to Bodo by ferry.  It depends on the time you have available I guess.

Hey :)

Just so you know it’s just the end of ski season up here in Narvik. Don’t expect the summer weather they’ve got in Stockholm. There will still be snow in Lofoten - enough to stop you hiking but not enough to really ski on. The mountains will look pretty (if you get nice weather) but I don’t want you to come up here and get disappointed that the weather is bad so you can’t go hiking

Userlevel 1
Badge

We just finished most of this trip and it is really beautiful! If you have the time I would also recommend visiting the Lofoten. You can buy a traveler pass with Nordland that gives you the opportunity to take the bus/express boat for 7 days. 

Our trip:

• Narvik to Svolvaer

If you have further questions regarding all the routes except the one to Bergen, just ask! Prepare to so much snow next to the railway 😍

Looks amazing!

Narvik to Svolvaer is by boat too?

Maybe I skip the different towns on the Lofoten, but it seems really better than cut directly narvik-bodo by bus.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Hey :)

Just so you know it’s just the end of ski season up here in Narvik. Don’t expect the summer weather they’ve got in Stockholm. There will still be snow in Lofoten - enough to stop you hiking but not enough to really ski on. The mountains will look pretty (if you get nice weather) but I don’t want you to come up here and get disappointed that the weather is bad so you can’t go hiking

Thank you for the advice!

I hope I like to hike with snowshoes, I hope there is the chance to do it :)

Our trip:

• Narvik to Svolvaer

Looks amazing!

Maybe I skip the different towns on the Lofoten, but it seems really better than cut directly narvik-bodo by bus.

Only Bodo - Svolvaer was by boat, but the bustrip from Narvik to Svolvaer was really amazing. You still get to see a beautiful part of the Lofoten. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Our trip:

• Narvik to Svolvaer

Looks amazing!

Only Bodo - Svolvaer was by boat, but the bustrip from Narvik to Svolvaer was really amazing. You still get to see a beautiful part of the Lofoten. 

Just last question...In Svolvaer do you know any hostel? Where did you book?

I am trying to plan your route, but I see there are only hotel...and as solo traveler, it is minimum 80/90 euros per night.

We were with 3 people and booked the Aker Brygge. This is includes the breakfast, but has us own kitchen for cooking. I remember seeing a sign with ‘VANDRERHJEM’ when walking around so you could trying to google it.