Solved

Tallinn - Helsinki Ferry; do you simply turn up and board the ferry like we do the trains?

• 23 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hey, 

Is it possible to use your interrail global pass for the ferry trip from Tallinn to Helsinki? If so, do you simply turn up and board the ferry like we do the trains? 
I’ve researched the ferry and can see the times and prices available, but if there is a way to use the pass to save money that would be preferable! 

I’m soon to begin my 2nd interrail experience in August, and cannot wait :D 

icon

Best answer by Al_G 23 July 2022, 10:05

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

A % discount is offered on Viking Line and Tallink Silja Line for passholders, book on their websites, add code EURAIL. Pass needs to be in date but doesn’t need to be activated for the day you travel on the ferries.

That’s great, thanks for that information! Do you know if there is a similar discount offering on the bus routes? I ask because I will be travelling from Tallinn to Riga, have researched and the train is 2 hours longer than the direct bus route. So my preference is to take the bus/coach, again more money but hopefully there is a similar discount offering to that of the ferry? 

A % discount is offered on Viking Line and Tallink Silja Line for passholders, book on their websites, add code EURAIL. Pass needs to be in date but doesn’t need to be activated for the day you travel on the ferries.

That’s great, thanks for that information! Do you know if there is a similar discount offering on the bus routes? I ask because I will be travelling from Tallinn to Riga, have researched and the train is 2 hours longer than the direct bus route. So my preference is to take the bus/coach, again more money but hopefully there is a similar discount offering to that of the ferry? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Well-youve done your homework well. I just wanted to write this warning as both EE then LV (NOT trains as for now LC-LT) are not really pass-fitted-plus several remarks that the EE/elron conductresses are unable to read the codes and force you to buy normal ticket.

NO there is NO PASS discount on these buses (there are at least 3 different=choice enough, HANSA is said to be best one) but the normal fares are low enough to western standd. There MAY be junior discount-and on the ferry there probably also is=same as for pass. (or, IOW:the gain is 0). Yoiu can save even more by making an advance booking for the ferry and avoid weekend-as there is a fairly hefty extra fee for buying quayside.

A pass does not bring much in these areas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

NO there is NO PASS discount on these buses (there are at least 3 different=choice enough, HANSA is said to be best one)

Please you also do your homework.

For future reference: Lux Express have a 20% discount:

https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/lux-express/