Solved

TGV Lyria Seat reservation Clarification (ZUR->PAR)

• 13 October 2023
  • 7 replies

Hi all,

I hold an EURAIL pass. I am trying to book seat reservations from Zurich to Paris Lyon on 22d Dec 2023. However, the timetables does not seem t e updated in EURAIL/INTERRAIL website.

1. Do we know when the latest timetable will be updated? Are there any other mechanisms to book seat reservations for TGV Lyria. I called SCF connect in Zurich and they cdnt assist either.
  2. I have booked other country seat reservations in DB/LNER/GWR websites. Am I required to tag those reservations with my EURAIL pass in my Rail planner app? or Do I just show my pass from the Rail planner app to the conductors?
  3. Am I able to use EURAIL pass within Switzerland? i.e Zurich->Lucerne or Zurich ->Bern etc

Appreciate your response. Apologies if this was asked before.

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 13 October 2023, 09:29

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
  1. No panic, the timetable is probably not yet updated. SNCF opened the sales. You can use other sites than interrail, b- Europe for example.
    To avoid excessive reservation fees, since TGV Lyria has extortionate Interrail reservation fees(!) as much as cheap advance tickets. You best head to Mulhouse (Fr), via Basel via regional trains - domestic Swiss trains and TER. It doesn’t take much longer and saves you a lot of money.
    Book your TGV from Mulhouse to Paris here: https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#TravelWish
    All other ways to buy seat reservations for this connection, can be found here:

1. The pass is your ticket. All trains you take need to be registered in the app to travel correctly. Reservations are completely seperate from that. For trains with mandatory reservations, you need to show both your ticket and the reservation to travel correctly.
  2. Yes, on almost all trains (with the exception of some touristic trains in the Jungfraujoch region). A pass is usually a very good deal in Switzerland.

Thank you Brendan for your response. Much appreciated.

How about the below query.

1. I have booked other country seat reservations in DB/LNER/GWR websites. Am I required to tag those reservations with my EURAIL pass in my Rail planner app? or Do I just show my pass from the Rail planner app to the conductors?
  2. Am I able to use EURAIL pass within Switzerland? i.e Zurich->Lucerne or Zurich ->Bern etc
Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you Brendan for your response. Much appreciated.

How about the below query.

1. I have booked other country seat reservations in DB/LNER/GWR websites. Am I required to tag those reservations with my EURAIL pass in my Rail planner app? or Do I just show my pass from the Rail planner app to the conductors?
  2. Am I able to use EURAIL pass within Switzerland? i.e Zurich->Lucerne or Zurich ->Bern etc

I’ve updated my answer, you can find the responses in my first post. :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Seat reservations are totally separate from the app so it doesn't matter where you make them. You're always better off making them through the railway company directly when possible.

So on the train you'll have to show both the app (pass QR-code) and the PDF (reservation). Optional reservations don't need to be checked unless you need to eject a squatter…

I also agree with the suggestion to go via Strasbourg or Mulhouse. It doesn't make much longer and may even save you time if your accommodation is near Paris-Est (arrival of the Strasbourg TGVs).

Sure, you can use your pass within a country ! Eurail is great value in Switzerland where full-fare tickets are quite expensive...

Thank you again for your responses.

I am able to view only 1 initial journey added to my mobile EURAIL pass (that can be enabled later to show QR code) in the rail planner app. I have a 10 day pass.

I have added other journeys in the app. However, I am not able to attach the mobile pass to those other journeys. Am I missing something here?

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you again for your responses.

I am able to view only 1 initial journey added to my mobile EURAIL pass (that can be enabled later to show QR code) in the rail planner app. I have a 10 day pass.

I have added other journeys in the app. However, I am not able to attach the mobile pass to those other journeys. Am I missing something here?

You probably a bit lost in the specfic terminology. You’re probably trying to add multiple trips under the my “My Trips” tab in the app?

See “My Trip” as your travel diary, “My Pass” (is for your passes, details, QR-code), planner is to plan and more is for all other functions and links.

In “My Trip” you can indeed add multiple trips, but you can only connect one trip to a pass.

Each Pass needs its own trip, so if you've got a few Passes on your device, you’ll need a separate trip for each Pass.

All journeys (= each time you take the train, during the validity of your pass) needs to be registered under one trip, the same where you registerd your first journey.

You can find all the explanations here below: https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

It seems a bit fiddly at first, but once you get the hang of it, it’s a quite smooth process.

Thank you Brendan. I figured it out now with the app :)