TGV Zurich to Dijon bookings

• 15 February 2023
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +2
  • Full steam ahead
  • 36 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to book a reservation (for 4 people) on the TGV from Zurich to Dijon on 1st August. I have the SNCF app but I can’t seem to add that I have an interrail pass. And when I search on the Eurail site and app it doesn’t let me book there. Am i missing something? Am I too early maybe?

Thanks in advance!

icon

Best answer by Al_G 15 February 2023, 16:11

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

Yes, it is too early.

It is not possible to book any passholder reservations through SNCF website or app. SNCF can at ticket offices and machines or by phone.

The only online resource for TGV from Switzerland is the Interrail booking service.

Reservations for these International TGV are extremely expensive, the alternative is to use Swiss regional train to Mulhouse and domestic TGV from there, this reduces the TGV reservation considerably.

Domestic TGV can be booked here for €10 or €20 plus booking fee https://travel.b-europe.com/eurail-ge/en/booking-tgv?#TravelWish

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Thank you, I’ll check it out - it’s so confusing!

We’re basically trying to get from Lake Ammersee in Germany to Dijon!

So i was thinking, Munich to Zurich, Zurich to Dijon.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

If now is too early when is the best time to try do you think?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

As 1st August is Switzerland’s National Day Zurich would be a great stop if you have time.

Btw trains run on a Sunday timetable that day (not many changes on the trains frequency anyway, more buses/trams).

If the journey needs to be done in a single day Zurich is indeed the best option.

• EC Munich - Zurich : 6 trains a day, 3h30 travel time ; this train can be quite busy, seat reservation recommended but not mandatory
  • TGV Zurich - Dijon : 2-3 trains a day, 2h25 ; hefty seat reservation fee - about 30€ and only on Interrail website as @Al_G warned. Taking a regional train to Mulhouse is a great option too.

The TGV Lyria seat reservations are available 90 days in advance - no need to panic, they won’t sell out directly.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

If now is too early when is the best time to try do you think?

SNCF is going to open bookings for (domestic) TGV in the holiday season for this summer, on 8th of March.

https://www.sncf-connect.com/aide/l-ouverture-des-ventes

I would avoid TGV Lyria, if you get to Mulhouse by regional train from Switzerland, there are plenty of connections to Dijon with ordinary TGV’s, with less pricey seat reservations.

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

That’s great - thanks everyone.

So I think I’ve decided…

Diesen to Basel, Basel to Mulhouse, Mulhouse to Dijon! Then that’s just the one domestic TGV, as you say, so cheaper and it doesn’t really take that much longer.