Solved

Ticket from Home country (CH) to One-country-pass-country

• 27 January 2023
  • 3 replies

Hi everyone,

We're planning on getting the one-country-pass for Italy. Our country of residence is Switzerland. So the ticket won't be valid in CH, only after the border.

The connection will be Bern-Milano-Rome. 

I can't figure out how to get a ticket from Bern to Milan. Will the interrail ticket be valid from the border (Domodossola) or only after the first stop in Italy?

The lady at the SBB counter said I needed to purchase the Anschlusszug-ticket from Bern to Milan (?) via Interrail, not via SBB. I can't find any info on connecting trains on the interrail website…

HELP! Thank you so much.

icon

Best answer by Angelo 27 January 2023, 21:50

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hi Interrail Pass One Country Italy is valid from Domodossola (wich is in Italy). Till Domodossola you can travel with an normal SBB Ticket (if you have Halbtax or GA you can use them, also possible to buy saver tickets till Domodossola or Saver Day Tickets for SBB trains).

I would check also via Trenitalia if a Saver Ticket Bern-Milano cost less than a SBB Ticket to Domodossola + Interrail Reservation. You need to compare.

From Domodossola you need a reservation for the train, this cost with Interrail in Italy 10€. IC you pay 3€. You can book it online via austrian railways ÖBB, using one way ticket option an Interrail as discount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

dont know your travelplans in Italy but i recommend to compare the Interrail Italiapass with the own offer of Trenitalia (Italian Rail) called Trenitaliapass :) the biggest advantage of the Trenitaliapass is it´s include the reservation (back side it counts the trains you take not the days :/ Means if you change on the way you need a 2nd “Trip”  ) 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I would check also via Trenitalia if a Saver Ticket Bern-Milano cost less than a SBB Ticket to Domodossola + Interrail Reservation. You need to compare.

AFAIK these trains also stop at Stresa, so better check for saver fares to that station.

The lady at the SBB counter said I needed to purchase the Anschlusszug-ticket from Bern to Milan (?) via Interrail, not via SBB.

That is nonsense. Interrail for Italy is valid from Domodossola (and Chiasso) and SBB can also sell any reservations or additional tickets needed. Additionally, Interrail does not sell connecting tickets. They only sell reservations (with a €2 booking fee) and passes.