Solved

Train is full: Is their a waiting queue for seat or sleeper reservations, in case they get cancelled?

• 4 October 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

There is a November 3 sleeper train leaving from Zurich to Vienna at 21:40 and arriving at 6:34 that looks to be completely sold out. Cannot even reserve a seat, let alone a sleeper, which is what I wanted.

Is there a waiting queue for those who want a seat or sleeper reservation such that if a person possibly cancels a seat or sleeper reservation, I can come in as an alternate, akin to an alternate Olympian or a player coming off the bench? Or, this is basically a dead-end. Once it’s sold out, it’s done and just move on?

I tried OBB, SBB, DB, etc. Nothing. I tried checking to see if I can a seat or sleeper reservation leaving from Vaduz, Lichtenstein to Vienna and that was sold out, too. It might be the same exact train and Vaduz is one stop along the path. I could be wrong.

---

In the meantime, I’m going to reserve 14:40 and 16:40 seat reservations from Zurich to Vienna. 15 Euro business class seats for a total of 30 Euros. Business class seats include seat reservations. Why two different train times? Because I don’t know which one I’m going to take yet. And the Vienna hotel (4 or 5 star rated) is not thrilled I could arrive by 1:00 AM but they said they’d do their best to accommodate me, if I take the 16:40 train. If I take the 14:40 train, I’d arrive at the hotel by 23:00 (11 PM).

I was anyway debating taking an afternoon train in Zurich to Vienna so I can have a view of the Swiss Alps from the train during the day. It cuts down on my time in Zurich (2.5 days, November 1 to November 3) but maybe there’s not that many things to do and see in Zurich in the first week of November. It’s not going to be warm. I’d like to maximize my time in Zurich and take the 16:40 train instead of the 14:40 train. It all depends on the hotel. As such, I’ll be in Vienna for 6 nights, 7 days.

Again, I was thinking I’d like to see the Swiss Alps during the day and then I can wake up in the Vienna hotel early to start the next day. So, it may work out better this way not taking the sleeper train. However, I’m sacrificing my time in Zurich; with a sleeper, I could spend the entire 3rd day and evening in Zurich and then take the sleeper to Vienna. It would have been something, I guess, to have the experience of sleeping on a bed on a train but it doesn’t exactly look comfy.

Thank you for reading!

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 4 October 2022, 19:22

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

That part of the train (that continues to Budapest) looks full indeed but the other part to Vienna (arriving at 7:58) still has seats and sleepers (no couchettes):

This is on tickets.oebb.at, which has fewer bugs and no booking fees.

Badge

That part of the train (that continues to Budapest) looks full indeed but the other part to Vienna (arriving at 7:58) still has seats and sleepers (no couchettes):

This is on tickets.oebb.at, which has fewer bugs and no booking fees.

Oh, thank you! Most interesting. I didn’t see this one coming up at all. I just saw the 6:34 arrival time. Now I see the 7:58 arrival time train. It says it’s a non-stop night train. No transfers. Interestingly enough, when I try to book it on SBB, it says there are no tickets for 1st or 2nd class available. But over on OBB, I see the same screen as you. Over on SBB, I only have the option of clicking the “Back” button, regardless of 1st or 2nd class. Maybe I’m not doing something right, I don’t know.

Hmm. In your opinion, would you rather take a day train and have a prime viewing opportunity of the Swiss Alps on you way to your final destination of Vienna? Or, would you rather spend as much time in Zurich as you can, take the night train, and then arrive in Vienna in the morning and check-in to the hotel?

If I arrive in Vienna the night before, I can wake up the next day and start my Vienna experience. If I take the night train, however, then I’d be spending all morning and possibly early afternoon checking into the hotel, having them watch my luggage and waiting for my room to be ready. Or I’d start my day while they keep an eye on my luggage and return to the hotel later that day to check-in.

Thanks again for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When and how to travel depends on your preferences and how much time you have. I like to travel by day if it's the first time I travel somewhere, especially if the views are good. But if it's boring, if I’ve travelled somewhere 100s of times or time is of the essence, then a night train comes into the picture.

As to checking in in the morning: just ask at the hotel reception if you can leave your luggage there, while they're preparing your room and you're making a first tour in the city.

Badge

When and how to travel depends on your preferences and how much time you have. I like to travel by day if it's the first time I travel somewhere, especially if the views are good. But if it's boring, if I’ve travelled somewhere 100s of times or time if of the essence, then a night train comes into the picture.

As to checking in in the morning: just ask at the hotel reception if you can leave your luggage there, while they're preparing your room and you're making a first tour in the city.

That sounds most reasonable. If you’ve never been to someplace before, travel by day may be a more suitable experience. I’ll take your words into deep consideration on this topic, thank you.

Yes, having the front desk hold my luggage in the morning until the room is ready is a good, viable option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

In Zurich there is enough to do but also the railway line from Zürich until let’s say Innsbruck is really beautiful. So if you wanna see something of it in autumn then the 16.40 train is definitely to late. With the 14.40 you should still see enough.

also keep in mind that with the 16.40 you will arrive only at 00.30 in Vienna, so there will be no Metro/Tram working anymore… depending on where your accommodation is located, you maybe should also take that into account (because the nightbuses are not very efficient about time IMO)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Nong, here in EUR about all main stations/satanee have luggage lockers-for a few € they keep your krapao safely. Then you do not have to shuttle back and back to HTL.

Also all main cities for the local transit offer daytickets-or for 24 hrs-allowing you to use all metro/tram/bus in the cityzone for mostly a sum between 5-10€. Buy from machine before first time. Sometimes there are also more epxensive ´citycards´ that also allow entry to museums or other touristy points.

From Z to Wien/Vienna the best view is not so much the Swiss Alps (you will in fact not seen any) but the Austrian Alps-between border (the train also passes Lichtenstein, a tiny country, but will not stop there) and INnsbruck. Train will also stop in some famous wintersport places.

Badge

In Zurich there is enough to do but also the railway line from Zürich until let’s say Innsbruck is really beautiful. So if you wanna see something of it in autumn then the 16.40 train is definitely to late. With the 14.40 you should still see enough.

also keep in mind that with the 16.40 you will arrive only at 00.30 in Vienna, so there will be no Metro/Tram working anymore… depending on where your accommodation is located, you maybe should also take that into account (because the nightbuses are not very efficient about time IMO)

Great suggestion! I reserved a seat for 14:40 from Zurich to Vienna. I didn’t even think about metro/tram availability when I arrive at the Vienna train station at 00.30. My accommodation is located approximately 2.4 km from the train station, near the Vienna State Opera House. If I did take the later train 16.40, aside from a night bus, which I have not researched, my only other options would be to hoof it (walk it) with hand luggage or schedule a taxi in advance. I presume taxis run 24 hours and Vienna train station, as a major hub, is equipped with a taxi stand. At 00.30, the question would be are taxis waiting around at that time but I imagine I could call a taxi to come and pick me up at the taxi stand outside the train station.

Badge

Nong, here in EUR about all main stations/satanee have luggage lockers-for a few € they keep your krapao safely. Then you do not have to shuttle back and back to HTL.

Also all main cities for the local transit offer daytickets-or for 24 hrs-allowing you to use all metro/tram/bus in the cityzone for mostly a sum between 5-10€. Buy from machine before first time. Sometimes there are also more epxensive ´citycards´ that also allow entry to museums or other touristy points.

From Z to Wien/Vienna the best view is not so much the Swiss Alps (you will in fact not seen any) but the Austrian Alps-between border (the train also passes Lichtenstein, a tiny country, but will not stop there) and INnsbruck. Train will also stop in some famous wintersport places.

Thank you! Yes, I will have some Euro coins on me, as, from what I understand, the luggage lockers are coin-operated. Is it readily easy to exchange Euro bills (also called banknotes) at a train station if I don’t have Euro coins or should I be expected to buy something small at the train station for like a Euro to get change? 

Austrian Alps and some famous wintersport places are well worth leaving earlier in the day to enjoy the scenic view. I will be taking a train from Munich to Zurich, as well, but that route also won’t get a view of the Swiss Alps.

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/travel-guide/a28442230/how-to-train-trip-swiss-alps/

I see that there are a few trains including the Glacier Express to take a train through the Swiss Alps but those are off the beaten path for me and I’m not headed in the direction of Geneva. But it’s good to know for another time!