Solved

Train sold out TGV

• 26 October 2022
  • 12 replies

Badge

We wanted to book the train from Paris to Strasbourg on December 22nd at 10.51 but its already sold out 😒 

Can you still book at the station on the day ??

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 26 October 2022, 11:18

View original

12 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Unfortunately SNCF allow pass reservations until the train is fully booked so, as no reservations for passes are available, that means there will be no seats available at the station. However there are seats available on earlier and later trains. 

Badge

I'm gutted they had seats available this morning and when I went back to book they were sold out , I'll book on the later one , thanks anyway 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

After checking DB and SNCF websites, the case rather seems to be that they've stopped selling Paris-Strasbourg for the 10:55 train on 22 December. Paris-Karlsruhe can still be booked for the same train.

You could book a reservation Paris - Karlsruhe but unfortunately, there seems to be some problem because I don’t see any availability on any train/any day for Paris - Karlsruhe (I checked some Wednesdays in December and November).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

After checking DB and SNCF websites, the case rather seems to be that they've stopped selling Paris-Strasbourg for the 10:55 train on 22 December. Paris-Karlsruhe can still be booked for the same train.

You could book a reservation Paris - Karlsruhe but unfortunately, there seems to be some problem because I don’t see any availability on any train/any day for Paris - Karlsruhe (I checked some Wednesdays in December and November).

I appreciate this doesn’t help the problem but from interest - Re the first point, could it be that SNCF allocate a proportion of the seats for P-Str and keep some for P to Karl?

Alternatively do they combine 2 sets of carriages (much as Trenitalia do on the Rome - Sicily IC trains) and each has a different number? At STR they could split.

I think Eurostar may do something similar with the AMS-BRU-LILLE-LON.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If the train is sold out, then you can't book at the station either.

You need to travel at another time.

https://travel.b-europe.com/Eurail-GE/en/booking-tgv#Outbound

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I appreciate this doesn’t help the problem but from interest - Re the first point, could it be that SNCF allocate a proportion of the seats for P-Str and keep some for P to Karl?

Alternatively do they combine 2 sets of carriages (much as Trenitalia do on the Rome - Sicily IC trains) and each has a different number? At STR they could split.

I think it's proportions. It's an ICE trainset and as far as In know, all ICEs Germany-France run as a single trainset. I share your suspicion about the London - Amsterdam trains.

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I think it's proportions. It's an ICE trainset and as far as In know, all ICEs Germany-France run as a single trainset. I share your suspicion about the London - Amsterdam trains.

Thanks for that

Badge

I think it's an issue with alot of journeys via strasbourg as we're having problems with our return journey too 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I think it's an issue with alot of journeys via strasbourg as we're having problems with our return journey too 

What route, date and time? 

Badge

Paris to Colmar December 22nd at 10.55

Colmar to Paris December 28th ( my oldest son is going home on this date ) 

& Ringsheim to Paris January 4th 8.33 am onwards 

I've checked carriers website and it's showing as booking not possible 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Paris to Colmar on 22 December 10:55: there are still no pass holder seats Paris-Strasbourg, but you can now book Paris-Karlsruhe (€16 + any booking fees, just leave the train at Strasbourg); there is still availability.

Colmar to Paris on 28 December: you didn't mention a time so here are some direct trains with availability (for 1 person):

Ringsheim to Paris on 4 January: booking doesn't seem to be open yet for domestic trains in France (the 8:32 departure is with changes in Offenburg and Strasbourg, arriving in Paris at 12:31). For the TGVs/ICEs coming from Germany, it does look like booking is already open (e.g. from Karlsruhe, such as the TGV arriving in Paris at 12:31) but I don't see any pass holder availability there (yet?). On 9 November, SNCF opens booking for a number of services for travel from 3 January, so for 4 Jan. I'd wait until then.

Badge

Hi there thanks so much , I tried the paris to karlsruhe yesterday and no joy , but tonight after you messaged it worked !! Pheeeew thankyou so much , that's one part of our journey sorted , I'm very relieved ! 

As for the rest of the journey I'll keep checking especially from Nov 9th as you suggested!