Solved

Train through the Pyrenees - can't find connections

• 1 April 2022
  • 9 replies

Hello,

as the booking for the high speed trains was hell, i am thinking of taking the regional trains back however i somehow cant find the connections. Isnt there a train through the Pyrenees which doesnt need reservation?

Best Anne

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 1 April 2022, 12:07

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can't find the connections because Spanish railways don't share these timetables with the rest of the world :(

You can use regional trains via Cerbère/Portbou, see this timetable.

Or you can go via Latour-de-Carol (= La Tor de Querol), see this timetable.

Timetables north of Latour and Cerbère are in most planners.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The real train via Pyrenees is the one via LTdC (La Tor de Querol in Espanol).

If you are ´collecting countries´ and do not mind paying a few  extra for 2 buses: you can do a sidetrip to check out country of Andorra, coming from Barca: get off Puigcerda, then spanish bus, get back to a stop a little north of LTdC, on an Andorra/FR bus.

The line mostly along coast and via Girona is the classic old main line that all trains Barca-FRance used to take. You switch from Spanish broad gauge to FRench normal at far end: Cerbere (1st stop in FR) going north or Port Bou (other side 1st stop) going south

There is also a connection, but with payable short bus in between from Zaragoza-north to Canfranc (where the giant old never used station is being transformed into luxury HTL)-bus to Bedous-then FR TER trains to Pau-Toulouse.

But to reach Zrgz you -again-have to use RENFE extra payable trenes!

Perfect

so I understand correctly i would take the Train from barcelona to Latour-de-Carol ,and from there to tolouse -lyon-germany (for which i most likely need resrvations then, otherwise this will take forever).

There is no possiblity to travel from the north of spain through france to germany right? That would be far more convient for me. I  checked from Bilbao, San Sebastian etc, but it all went via barcelona.

Best Anne and thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There is no possiblity to travel from the north of spain through france to germany right? That would be far more convient for me. I  checked from Bilbao, San Sebastian etc, but it all went via barcelona.

Of course there is. But currently, the only train running between Irún and Hendaye is Euskotren and they're not in any planner. Euskotren run direct from San Sebastian to Hendaye (= Hendaia in their timetable). From Bilbao, you need to change in San Sebastian (Donostia). They're not included in Interrail but they're cheap and run frequently. In Hendaye, their station is in front of the SNCF station.

Hello,

as the booking for the high speed trains was hell, i am thinking of taking the regional trains back however i somehow cant find the connections. Isnt there a train through the Pyrenees which doesnt need reservation?

Best Anne

There is also a night train Paris La Tour de la Carole, very nice! And also Paris-Cerbere

You can't find the connections because Spanish railways don't share these timetables with the rest of the world :(

You can use regional trains via Cerbère/Portbou, see this timetable.

Or you can go via Latour-de-Carol (= La Tor de Querol), see this timetable.

Timetables north of Latour and Cerbère are in most planners.

Do you have also a timetable Barcelona - Valencia? And are they this sommer also driving?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Do you have also a timetable Barcelona - Valencia? And are they this sommer also driving?

Try renfe.es or www.raileurope.com.

De eerste geeft 4 treinen, na 9.43 alleen nog één om 20.15, een snelle en waar je voor moet reserveren wat je alleen in Barcelona kan kopen en ze moeilijk doen over onze hond. We nemen liever een locale, langzamere trein, hoef je niet te reserveren. Oeps Dutch, do you understand?

The second gives alone the quick one, with reservation online to buy at the station in Barcelona, and controle which do'nt know dogs are permitted in a basket…..

There must be more trains?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

De eerste geeft 4 treinen, na 9.43 alleen nog één om 20.15, een snelle en waar je voor moet reserveren wat je alleen in Barcelona kan kopen en ze moeilijk doen over onze hond. We nemen liever een locale, langzamere trein, hoef je niet te reserveren. Oeps Dutch, do you understand?

The second gives alone the quick one, with reservation online to buy at the station in Barcelona, and controle which do'nt know dogs are permitted in a basket…..

There must be more trains?

Waarschijnlijk is de zomerdienstregeling nog niet compleet. Op Barcelona - Valencia zouden veel meer treinen moeten rijden, vergelijk bv. met deze week.