Trains not requiring reservations

• 19 November 2021
  • 2 replies

I have booked reservations for all my trains except 2 of the legs of 2 separate journeys. We are going from Lucerne, Switzerland to Paris and the leg of our journey from Basel Sbb to Mulhouse Villa did not require a reservation or have a way to reserve if we wanted to on the eurrail site. Same for our trip from Rome to Lucerne, the leg from Arth-Goldau to Lucerne. Is that something we just go and get on the train with our passes or is there somewhere we can book those? I would hate for the train to be full and we miss certain connections we do have reserved. 

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Don't worry about those trains.

Basel to Mulhouse is probably a regional train, which cannot be reserved.

Arth-Goldau to Lucerne is no problem because in Switzerland (almost) nobody books a seat. I'm not even sure this train (probably an IR) can be booked.

Just hop on and enjoy the ride :)

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

I have booked reservations for all my trains except 2 of the legs of 2 separate journeys. We are going from Lucerne, Switzerland to Paris and the leg of our journey from Basel Sbb to Mulhouse Villa did not require a reservation or have a way to reserve if we wanted to on the eurrail site. Same for our trip from Rome to Lucerne, the leg from Arth-Goldau to Lucerne. Is that something we just go and get on the train with our passes or is there somewhere we can book those? I would hate for the train to be full and we miss certain connections we do have reserved. 

For 100 percent certainty, send a message to the SBB. This can be done via twitter, or their website.