Solved

Traveling the Glacier Express with the Eurorail Pass

• 21 April 2023
  • 6 replies

We have a Eurorail Pass and would like to travel from Chur to Brig.  What do we need in addition to the Eurorail Pass to do the Glacier Express?

Also if we would take local trains, rahter than the Glacier Express, can you give me a route we would travel with stops?

Thank you.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 21 April 2023, 15:07

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do not pay 49 CHF extra for the direct train, it's not worth it in my opinion. It is very crowded (all seats are usually taken weeks in advance) compared to the local trains which are often empty.

The scenic route is Chur - Disentis/Mustér - Andermatt - Brig. Trains run hourly and connections between them are guaranteed. You could stop along the way, I don't have real advice about stops. Andermatt and Disentis are the most worthwhile villages but you could also stop at Oberalppass to be in the middle of nature !

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

In the Glacier Express, you need an additional reservation, which you can book here:

https://shop.glacierexpress.ch/

Choose "Classic Glacier Express”. You need "Reservation only”, as explained on the page.

The route with the hourly regional trains has changes in Disentis/Mustér and Andermatt and no reservations. Use sbb.ch to check timetables. Enter via Andermatt to force the correct route, otherwise you'll see the faster connections via Zurich. The connection time in Disentis/Mustér is 3 minutes but that will work. The connecting train is on the other side of the platform and will wait in case of small delays.

Hi everyone. A little hope if you dont mid. I have made seat reservations for the glacier express. I used the eurail discount. My question is, how do I now book the train tickets on my eurail pass?

Thanks, joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Hi everyone. A little hope if you dont mid. I have made seat reservations for the glacier express. I used the eurail discount. My question is, how do I now book the train tickets on my eurail pass?

Thanks, joe

Nothing, you just have to register the train you take in your pass, and you need to show the reservation together with your pass upon inspection.

But I refer to the answers above: you don’t really need to buy expensive reservations. you can take the regional trains that do the same route and provide you with more flexibility for less costs.

so how do I register the train?  its not til december, is it possible that it is ot showing up?

thanks, Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

so how do I register the train?  its not til december, is it possible that it is ot showing up?

thanks, Joe

You’ll find all explanations on this webpage: https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/eurail-mobile-pass/getting-started

If it’s after 9 december you’ll be travelling, it’s possible that it’s not showing up. There’s the yearly, Europe wide timetable change on the 10th of december.

Update your app or check www.sbb.ch/en for the schedules. If not available, it’ll be in a couple of weeks. The schedules won’t change much with the current ones.