Solved

Travelling on Eurostar from around UK on Outbound day. What counts as an outbound trip when the tube is involved?

• 7 August 2023
  • 6 replies

Hello.

I want to travel from East Anglia to Central Europe via the Eurostar. To get to the Eurostar, I have to use 2 standard trains and get the tube (not covered by Interrail) to St Pancras Station for the Eurostar.

Would the 2 connecting train trips, with a gap in the middle, and a trip on the Eurostar all count as one outbound trip, or would I have to buy the first section separately and then only use my outbound day for the Eurostar?

The trip is all planned for the same day, and I do need to return home afterwards ( thought that will all count as one journey as all trains are connected that time)

Thank you

(the tube is annoying)

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 7 August 2023, 19:41

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can board as many trains as you like on a travel day (00.00-23.50 CET). On your outbound travel day, you can travel in both your country of residence and in other countries. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

On a travel day, you can take as much trains as you want from 0:00-23:59 CET (OR 23/00-22:59 GMT). On two of your travel days, you can use the pass in your own country (the so called inbound/outbound trains, better to call that home country days).

So all the trains you need to take from East Anglia, to get to London are included in your pass on that travel day you’re gonna use for Eurostar.

Also in the return trip.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Just want to add : you could do the journey without paying anything extra as Thameslink and the Elizabeth Line are covered.

- EL Liverpool Street - Farringdon

- Thameslink Farringdon - St. Pancras

You'll probably need to speak to someone to open the gates though.

I will be travelling from my local station by South Western Railways to London then by the tube to London St Pancras to take the Eurostar. I have checked that South Western Railways is also covered by the Interail Global Pass. Do I need to book the ticket from my local station in advance on the mobile app or simply show the mobile Rail Pass to the staff at the local station? I have just asked the staff at my local station but was advised that I still need for the train ticket to London. That is quite contrary to what’s described above. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I will be travelling from my local station by South Western Railways to London then by the tube to London St Pancras to take the Eurostar. I have checked that South Western Railways is also covered by the Interail Global Pass. Do I need to book the ticket from my local station in advance on the mobile app or simply show the mobile Rail Pass to the staff at the local station? I have just asked the staff at my local station but was advised that I still need for the train ticket to London. That is quite contrary to what’s described above. 

Your local staff are wrong - the info above is correct, you can use as many trains as you wish in your home country on the 2 allowed travel days.

Your local staff are wrong - the info above is correct, you can use as many trains as you wish in your home country on the 2 allowed travel days.

Thank you very much for your reply. This is the first time I use the Interail Pass. Do I need to book  a ticket in advance or simply show my rail pass to the staff at the gate of the local station to get to the platform and get on the train?