Solved

Trip from Lyon to Paris included?

Hello!

I'm from Lyon (France) and I would like to travel to Budapest with an interrail global pass. My plan is to travel from Lyon to Paris then from Paris to Budapest then come back (Budapest => Paris => Lyon). I wanted to know if the journey from Lyon to Paris is included in the interrail global pass ? or only the journey from Paris to Budapest ?

Thank you

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 2 June 2022, 16:58

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

This is NOT the most direct route-and this means that in theory the French conductors can object to it-but it happens not very often, if at all. AND you MUST make both trips on same day=canNOT stopover in this lumiëre city. I guess you want to use the direct overnight nightjet to Wien/Vienne? READ the info on how to book via oebb.at.

Coming back: if you again use this overnite, it may give probs with the app, as it will count as using 2 days in homecountry. There is a sneeky way around this-ask if you cannot find and wants this way.

It is perfectly possible to use TGV to Strasbourg and board overnight from there toward l´Allemagne. Or travel via the swiss and Basel and onward. (also overnite from Zúrich to Wien).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On 2 of your travel days, you can also travel in your country of residence, with as many trains as you like.

Tank you very much for your answers !

So If I buy a 4 days within a month pass and travel 1 day from Lyon to Paris (where I stay 3 days) then 1 day  from Paris to Budapest (where I stay 7 days) then 1 day from Budapest to Lyon (where I live), it will work ?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

No, that will not work as you will travel in France on 3 different days. You can't stay in Paris or you need to pay for the ticket from the French border to Lyon. Or you can pay for the ticket from Lyon to Paris. 

Hi 

I have a similar question and I really need help because Interrail doesn’t respond to my emails. 

I live in Paris and I want to go to Zurich (Airport). I saw that there are trains from Paris Gare de Lyon to Zurich and that is great but it’s 37€ for reservation. 

Another possibility is Paris Gare de Lyon to Mulhouse Ville, and take a couple of Regional trains (free). And the Paris Mulhouse train is 10€ for reservation. 

My residence country with the Interrail Pass is France. So can I do Paris - Mulhouse ? 

Thank you very much for your help 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

My residence country with the Interrail Pass is France. So can I do Paris - Mulhouse ?

Sure you can. On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like. Also in your country of residence, when using one of the 2 inbound/outbound journeys.

Interrail wil not be responding quickly such basic questions. It's better to research the website and to ask here if you don’t find an answer.

Sure you can. On a travel day, you can use as many trains as you like. Also in your country of residence, when using one of the 2 inbound/outbound journeys.

Interrail wil not be responding quickly such basic questions. It's better to research the website and to ask here if you don’t find an answer.

Thank you very very much. Have a nice day 😁

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

The passholder fees for these TGV Lyria services are a joke, even from the clown school that is SNCF.

If booking far enough ahead you may well be able to get a regular ticket for less than than the Interrail booking fee.

If travel on these trains is your primary use of Interrail then it is just not worth it.