Solved

Trip from Poland to Lithuania

• 13 February 2022
  • 10 replies

Hello, 

I’m planning a European Tour and I can’t find a train between Poland and Lithuania. 

Do you know why ? 

I would like to go to Lithuania, Latvia and Estonia. Do you have tips ? 

Thanks !

icon

Best answer by Womble 13 February 2022, 21:33

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

There are currently no trains between Lithuania and Poland (and also in general no international trains to Lithaunia) 

You have to take a bus 

Userlevel 3
Badge

Yeah, there are no international passenger trains between Lithuania and neighbouring countries, although there are quite a few freight trains.

The various countries and the EU are working on “Rail Baltica” to link Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and (one day) Finland. It’s scheduled to be ready in 2026:

https://info.railbaltica.org/

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

The last train connection from Bialystok to Kaunas is currently not in operation and you have to use Buses eg. LuxExpress (They provide a discount for Interrailer & Eurailer)
https://benefitsportal.eurail.com/benefits/lux-express/

The railnetwork between the Baltic Countries is not well managed as you have to change at the border to travel between the Countries and it´s often even longer as by bus :/

Hopefully Railbaltica helps to connect these countries better :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Do NOT use a pass to travel only in these countries, pay as you go and use a bus if that it faster/easier (very often). Local fares are pretty low (medium in Eestti) and there are just a very few raillines and services on them.

Long distance BUSes (coaches for UK) run all the way, a few/day, mostly already starting Germany/Berlin, via Warszawa-border-Kaunas-Riga-Tallinn, with even a few more on local sectors in these baltics. Ferries connect Riga and Tallinn with Sweden and Finland (Helsinki)

Google will very speedily show various sites that compare all options, like rome2rio or omio

There are currently no trains between Lithuania and Poland (and also in general no international trains to Lithaunia) 

You have to take a bus 

Thanks !!!!

Do NOT use a pass to travel only in these countries, pay as you go and use a bus if that it faster/easier (very often). Local fares are pretty low (medium in Eestti) and there are just a very few raillines and services on them.

Long distance BUSes (coaches for UK) run all the way, a few/day, mostly already starting Germany/Berlin, via Warszawa-border-Kaunas-Riga-Tallinn, with even a few more on local sectors in these baltics. Ferries connect Riga and Tallinn with Sweden and Finland (Helsinki)

Google will very speedily show various sites that compare all options, like rome2rio or omio

Thanks for your advice :)

I want to go in Dublin from Spain by the est of Europe, so I think I will take a ticket for 2 months. 

If you other advice, I'm interested !

Are there any updates or advice from travelling into Lithuania from Poland or is it still the same. Train to suwalki and then local bus??

thanks

neil

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Forget that-take the bus in Warszawa (zachodnia avtobusz), this cumbersome train+train+wait/find stop etc will only lead to frustration and much higher cost in the end.

(yes, I have experience of doing that in Suwalki).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

@Neilozuk trains from Poland to Lithuania will restart from 1 July:

https://ltglink.lt/kaunas-balstog%C4%97-kaunas

Thanks for this. Unfortunately to late for me I’m in suwalki now and catching the bus this afternoon!