Solved

Trips without a reservation

• 16 February 2023
  • 2 replies

I want to book a trip that has two changes of trains but none of them require seat reservations. All my other trips required a reservation so I would go in person to the train station and I would receive a physical ticket with a car and seat number. By adding a journey to my trip and creating the travel day, am I guaranteed to be allowed on that train? Will I get in trouble for possibly sitting in someone else’s seat or does nobody have assigned seats and they are all first come first serve seating? Is showing my ticket pass on my phone enough or do I still need to go to the ticket desk and receive a physical ticket for the train? If the train ends up being filled, am I guaranteed a spot on it since I’ve added it to my Eurail Global Pass via the RailPlanner app?

icon

Best answer by BrendanDB 16 February 2023, 19:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

As always:

Which trains you are taking exactly? From where to where? At what date? Which time?

Probably it will just be trains without any form of reservation. So just add your journey to the pass, find a seat, sit and enjoy the ride. It just works like a metro, tram and bus in about every city in the world.

Full trains are rare. And in most case there’s always some other trains in the following hour doing exactly the same route. 

Even if it would be so full (very uncommon) you find yourself standing: people always get on and off in intermediate stations. You won’t be standing all the way.

You can move through the train, to find quieter places. The very front, or very back are usually the calmest, with the most free seats.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are several ways to make reservations. For trains with mandatory reservation you better make them in advance. Depending on that route, date and time, some reservations sell out weeks and some months in advance. 

What trains (route, date, time) that require reservations are you planning to take?