Solved

Trying to book sleeper for 2 in a a night train issue

• 1 December 2023
  • 13 replies

Hi 

I try to book my sleeper cabin for me and my husband but I receive a message that I cannot book because there is a conflict of gender … it is like if the application doesn’t recognise that we travel together. Night train between Hamburg to Stockholm.

Someone can help me? 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 1 December 2023, 08:18

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Please mention date and departure time. There are 2 night trains on that route.

Hi 

date is16th February and train is EN346 

You mention that I have sent a private message but how to share with the community?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You better make the reservation at sj.se . Under "Traveller" you select Interrail/Eurail as SJ Prio/travel card. You can write what ever you want as card number.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Unfortunately EC8 has very poor reliability : in the last 30 days it arrived 22 times with a delay over 30 min. Of those it arrived 10 times over an hour late and on 4 days it never made it to Hamburg. Source : https://www.zugfinder.net/de/zug-EC_8

This connection is quite risky honestly but you can take the chance if you want. German long-distance trains are often delayed and this one is even worse than usual.

You want to have a margin before a night train so I'd leave 2 hours earlier and have a nice dinner around Hamburg main station.

Reservations are cheaper bought through the railway company : 4.90€ per person for Liège - Cologne - Hamburg through DB (incl. seat map). Interrail is quite unreliable too as you could see. More info : https://www.seat61.com/interrail-and-eurail-reservations.htm

thanks 

I have a look and yes I can see the option for the compartiment.

one thing that is not clear is if we book only the sleeper cabin or also the ticket train … not really clear on the screen 

thanks to alert me on the poor reliability on EC8, I have a waiting time of 50 minutes … not sufficient you think?

and if I want to take a train earlier, how can I split or change in the interrail application because by default app proposes the full journey with predifined train 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

50 min is risky as you're connecting to a night train. If the following train ran every 30 min I would take it without issue.

Search the journey in smaller steps : first Liège - Cologne, then Cologne - Hamburg, etc. I always do that as I often change plans during the journey (Interrail gives you that flexibility). That way it's easier to delete a train and add another one.

About the night train : those are reservation prices. You can remove the discount and check the real price if you wish. A private compartment with Interrail costs 1654 SEK (145€) or 4179 SEK (366€) without the pass. Good value !

Prices on Interrail are incorrect, they should be updated soon. They'll be corrected right before payment, you can try.

Thanks a lot for all your informations, very kind … it is the first time I book with interrail and yesterday I was really discouraged, not so easy.  thanks again for your help 

Maybe one stupid question regarding sleep cabin reservation at SJ company.

A private sleeping compartment 1st class for 3 peope, I hope if I reserve this one with my husband I will not have a third person (stranger) and strange that the price for this compartment is cheaper than the 2nd class...

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I wouldn't choose this option. I'm not sure you'll share but I think you must have a 1st class pass.

@AnnaB @rvdborgt will correct me. Thanks :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Indeed, I think you'll need a 1st class ticket for the 1st class compartment. You could ask SJ to confirm, e.g. on Facebook.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You must have a 1st class Interrail/Eurail pass to travel in 1st class with SJ.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Maybe one stupid question regarding sleep cabin reservation at SJ company.

A private sleeping compartment 1st class for 3 peope, I hope if I reserve this one with my husband I will not have a third person (stranger) and strange that the price for this compartment is cheaper than the 2nd class...

You need a 1st class pass to use the 1st class Sleeper Carriage (Private Shower / WC make the difference) 

It´s written 1-3 beds which means if you book private it´s just for you group :) If you book then for 2 Persons usually 2 beds a are then prepared for the Night (I had it few times booked single compartment and then there were all 3 beds prepared for the Night but the steward came quickly to “transform” the Compartment back to Single Configuration.