Solved

Unable to book Barcelona to Paris

• 17 July 2023
  • 9 replies

Hello. I have purchased a 1 day Eurail pass (France). I am planning to travel from Barcelona to Paris on September 3rd. When I try to make a seat reservation it says “Your pass isn’t valid in some of these countries”. Everything I have read online says this Eurail pass allows travel between Barcelona and Paris so I am confused why this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?

icon

Best answer by Mukhammad 20 July 2023, 13:40

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

It looks looks this still hasn't been solved.

Your pass is certainly valid to Barcelona. You can also book by phone via SNCF and some others:

@Mukhammad @Camilo. Any idea when booking reservations with a OCP for France to Barcelona (and Milan) will work?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Hello. I have purchased a 1 day Eurail pass (France). I am planning to travel from Barcelona to Paris on September 3rd. When I try to make a seat reservation it says “Your pass isn’t valid in some of these countries”. Everything I have read online says this Eurail pass allows travel between Barcelona and Paris so I am confused why this is happening. Does anyone have any ideas?

@Vishnu Sreenivasan @rvdborgt 

Our reservation team is aware of this case. It's been communicated to the team since today.

Please kindly wait for the update from us. Thank you!

Your pass is certainly valid to Barcelona. You can also book by phone via SNCF and some others:

@Mukhammad @Camilo. Any idea when booking reservations with a OCP for France to Barcelona (and Milan) will work?

Eurail support got back to me and said what was posted on the website was incorrect and that you cannot travel between Paris and Barcelona with the one country France pass. They have since updated the website. I’m still working with them trying to get a refund.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Eurail support got back to me and said what was posted on the website was incorrect and that you cannot travel between Paris and Barcelona with the one country France pass. They have since updated the website. I’m still working with them trying to get a refund.

Good afternoon @Vishnu Sreenivasan,

I already checked your conversation with our CS team. I'm sorry for the inconvenience caused!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

You can definitely travel to Barcelona on the TGV with a one country pass for France. See for example the conditions here published by Belgian railways.

@Mukhammad What has happened here? Customer support should not make statements that are contradictory to the operators’ conditions.

When will the page about France finally include that you can also use it on the TGVs to Barcelona and Milan? (And the page about trains in France should also mention this, the information on both pages should be the same.) Then finally everybody will have access to this information.

You can definitely travel to Barcelona on the TGV with a one country pass for France. See for example the conditions here published by Belgian railways.

@Mukhammad What has happened here? Customer support should not make statements that are contradictory to the operators’ conditions.

When will the page about France finally include that you can also use it on the TGVs to Barcelona and Milan? (And the page about trains in France should also mention this, the information on both pages should be the same.) Then finally everybody will have access to this information.

I am unsure what is true and what is not at this point. Eurail customer support responded with 
“Unfortunately, One Country Pass - France, is valid only within one country, it is France. With the One Country Pass, you can explore the country of your choice during 3, 4, 6 or 8 travel days (to be used within 1 month)! Notice the One Country Pass is not valid outside of the chosen country. Travel from another location to the selected country is also not included. 
 Due to a mistake on our website, it appeared, that it was possible to travel from Barcelona to Paris using a One Country Pass. We apologize for that.”

After I received that message I noticed they updated https://www.eurail.com/en/eurail-passes/one-country-pass/france to say this:

Previously, this section looked like this:

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@rvdborgt @Vishnu Sreenivasan 

I apologize for the confusions created. Our relevant team will arrange an internal meeting about this. Until this time, I'm aligned only to the information provided recently and also according to the conversation with SNCF:

On the TGV Paris-Barcelona, is the One Country Pass France valid till Perpignan or can travellers use it till Figueres or even Barcelona? - According to the conditions of the pass the cross border journey is only available if the pass is valid on the both countries. So the OCP will only be available until Perpignan."

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On the TGV Paris-Barcelona, is the One Country Pass France valid till Perpignan or can travellers use it till Figueres or even Barcelona? - According to the conditions of the pass the cross border journey is only available if the pass is valid on the both countries. So the OCP will only be available until Perpignan."

@Mukhammad That means SNCF is telling you something different than what they told Belgian railways (and possibly others). It would be strange though to have different validity depending on where you buy the reservation. It rather sounds like SNCF is disorganised, or your contact at SNCF doesn't know enough about their own conditions. Please ask with SNCF to check internally which version is correct and to organise themselves so that all their partners have synchronised and correct information.

This is not just for the validity to Barcelona, but also to Italy, Luxembourg and Freiburg (links to Belgian railways tariff information).

(Edit: updated links)

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

@Mukhammad That means SNCF is telling you something different than what they told Belgian railways (and possibly others). It would be strange though to have different validity depending on where you buy the reservation. It rather sounds like SNCF is disorganised, or your contact at SNCF doesn't know enough about their own conditions. Please ask with SNCF to check internally which version is correct and to organise themselves so that all their partners have synchronised and correct information.

This is not just for the validity to Barcelona, but also to Italy, Luxembourg and Freiburg (links to Belgian railways tariff information).

@rvdborgt Thank you for the reminder!

The team is aware of the other routes you mentioned. Those are also already included in the conversation with SNCF.