Solved

Unable to reserve seats on direct eurocity train from Milan to Geneva

• 19 June 2023
  • 2 replies

I’m looking at reserving seats between Milano Centrale and Geneva however I can’t find any direct trains to reserve seats between the two cities. Even weirder, I can buy full price fares on Trenitalia and Trainline for a direct train. I’ve checked OBB, the Interrail seat reservation service website, not to much avail. Can anyone help? I understand that there is an option to take multiple trains between the two cities, but I just want to take the fastest, most straightforward route as I am a first time interrailer.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 19 June 2023, 13:23

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is currently a problem with that route on some planners. The solution : book a seat between Milan and Domodossola through ÖBB (mandatory leg) : 10€. Stay on the same seat until Geneva, won't be a problem.

Nobody make seat reservations in Switzerland (I'm not sure it's possible anyway). I've lived here all my life and never made one.

Btw if you're going to Paris afterwards and would like to save money, board the TGV in Bellegarde (limited 10€ fare, then 20€) instead of Geneva (29€).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There's a problem with the timetable data, meaning that through trains are not shown as through trains but with a change at Domodossola instead.

This seems to be fixed now in the Trenitalia planner, the SBB planner and for most trains in the DB planner. Unfortunately not yet in the ÖBB planner and ÖBB booking website (tickets.oebb.at).

I see a few options here:

• Wait until the issue has been fixed on the ÖBB booking website and the book a reservation for €11.
  • On the ÖBB booking website, book a reservation Milan-Domodossola now (€10). Reservations are not required north of Domodossola so you don't need anything else.
  • Call ÖBB or SBB and order a reservation by phone.