Solved

Unclear explanation for me if you have to add journeys in Northern Ireland & Ireland

• 19 March 2022
  • 7 replies

Hello ! Unclear explanation for me if you have to add journeys in Northern Ireland & Ireland. Scrolling down in "Options" doesn't give me somewhere the opportunity to add train stations in these countries. Could you please clarify ? Thanks !

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 19 March 2022, 23:45

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Unclear explanation for me if you have to add journeys in Northern Ireland & Ireland. Scrolling down in "Options" doesn't give me somewhere the opportunity to add train stations in these countries.

You have to add all journeys, also in NI and the republic. Since their railways don’t share their timetables with the rest of the world, you'll have to add all trains manually. You don't need the planner Options. Just add a random journey in the planner, scroll down to the bottom of the results, tap on "Add it manually” and then fill in your manual journey.

Thanks rvdborgt !

After writing my question, I discovered "by accident" this way of having the opportunity to put journeys manually in, in fact by trying a fake journey in another country than Ireland. This is a bit strange procedure and (to my opinion) should be taken up in the Interrail explanation for manual inputs. I wonder how many people already struggled with this? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

After writing my question, I discovered "by accident" this way of having the opportunity to put journeys manually in, in fact by trying a fake journey in another country than Ireland. This is a bit strange procedure and (to my opinion) should be taken up in the Interrail explanation for manual inputs. I wonder how many people already struggled with this? 

Good point. I'm sure @Nanja will pick this up.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Thanks for the feedback, @Eric Van Belle. It has been added to the manual just now. Cheers, 

Badge

Hello ! Unclear explanation for me if you have to add journeys in Northern Ireland & Ireland. Scrolling down in "Options" doesn't give me somewhere the opportunity to add train stations in these countries. Could you please clarify ? Thanks !

EURail-Group could easily find out when and where a train departs and on which stations this stops, why don't they do that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

EURail-Group could easily find out when and where a train departs and on which stations this stops, why don't they do that?

That's not how it works. The data isn't available because NI railways don't send it. You can't really expect someone else then to enter all timetables into the required format and send it to the European Timetable Centre. How much more would you be prepared to pay for your pass for that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Hello ! Unclear explanation for me if you have to add journeys in Northern Ireland & Ireland. Scrolling down in "Options" doesn't give me somewhere the opportunity to add train stations in these countries. Could you please clarify ? Thanks!

Then please explain how easy it is ? To overwatch more than 50 major Railcompanies that are covered + even more minor Railcompanies? There was back in the old days a System called “European Timetable Service” and almost everyone loaded their data up there.

As this should be working with all companies this “Server” wasnt always up to date regarding secruity and connection to other Apps of the Railcompanies. Step by Step the companies startet their own Software (as they needed a more modern Software for their “tools”).
Few still upload their timetable besides that to the European Time Table Server :) (Maintain a connection between the Server an their own Timetable systems.

In my opinion you should blame either the EU (European Union) or the Railcompany that doesnt upload their timetables as it´s easier for them to upload their timetable to the Server than Eurail to operate several App connection across Europe. Or in case of the EU force the Railcompanies to do that ;) ​​​