Solved

Urgent: how to get to Paris from Cologne

• 9 September 2022
  • 5 replies

Hi all,

This is my first  ever booking of Thalys, I decided to use the train instead of a plane because I thought it would be more reliable but looks like it is not.

We have travelled to Cologne from Portugal and have a Thalys booked for tomorrow to get to Paris, from where we willl fly back to Portugal.

However, I just got a message from Thalys that due to the flood the train won't be stopping at Cologne tomorrow? 

Can the situation still change? Or do I need to run ti the ticket office now?

How do I get to Paris? They suggest to use Aachen or Dusseldorf but I am not sure how to get to Paris from there???

We have the hotel booked for tomorrow and no booked stay in Cologne so we would really like to get to Paris tomorrow :)

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 9 September 2022, 21:09

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes-thats it-there is a kind of catastrofe right on the control-centre for the main station in K and this is not solved tomorrow-or even next week. That is in fact one of the many minus points for going by train that these green-eco-followers never mention-nor the high amount of strikes we encounter here the last weeks.I think Tls is a bit unclear if it runs/starts in DE (Aachen-right before the border with BE) and that would normally be the next stop after K on Tls, about 40 mins later. This should be on their site. YOu can go K to AC-check the travelplanner of bahn.de-but with change from slow (and likely much, much overcrowded) S-bahn to Düren-about halfway-and then other train onward. Expect all trains to also be very late. However, IF they only start from BE-then it gets harder, not impossible, but will eat time. Going to a tix-off has no sense, if you cannot manage a travelplanner. You did not state for what time it was, for a very early dep. it may be quite hard.

Thanks a lot for the reply. The departure is at 16.43

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

According to this it is running from Koln Hbf

https://www.thalys.com/de/en/traffic-info/32871

You will need to keep an eye on that. If it is changed then you can get to Aachen, the next stop for those Paris trains, by regional trains from Koln-Ehrenfeld which can be reached by local trains from Koln Hbf

As long as you give yourself plenty of time tomorrow you should be fine.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

DB have fixed their flooded signal box in Cologne earlier than expected:

https://bahn.de/aktuell

Trains are serving Köln Hbf again right now, as we speak. I'd expect trains to run normally again tomorrow.

Thank you all very much! Yes, I ended up going to the DB Reisezentrum and they confirmed the issue should be fixed by now, I will be checking the train status on the site, thank you for the tip!