Solved

Weekend NightJet service from Rome to Munich in Oct

• 28 April 2023
  • 6 replies

A friend and I were planning on taking the NightJet on 22 Oct from Rome Termini to Munich (in order to get to Cologne), however it appears (on both Eurail and OBB) that NightJet (in addition to any other trains leaving Termini) is not running on weekends or currently is not scheduled for any weekends in Oct. Is this accurate or am I trying to book too early? It seems odd that the entirety of Romes rail network shuts down for an entire weekend with no significant holiday (that I’m aware of). Any advice or reasonable alternatives would be appreciated. We already purchased our passes in anticipation of being able to schedule this train, so we’d rather avoid booking flights if possible.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 28 April 2023, 22:31

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +3

It’s too early for these schedules.

Really? There were scheduled trains up until 20 Oct and then on 23 Oct. If it really is too early, when are they typically released?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Normally Nightjet trains can be booked half a year or more in advance, but not to all countries and not when engineering works are being planned and the timetable is not final yet.

On 22 October (and some more weekends), this night train is currently in the planners from Bologna.

I'm not sure what is going to happen. I see a few possibilities:

1. It will run from Rome with the normal timetable.
  2. It will run from Rome with an adapted timetable.
  3. It will run from Ancona (via Bologna).
  4. It will start in Bologna.

It can already be booked from Bologna and for the 22nd I can see only availability for couchettes and seats, but not for sleepers.

So basically keep an eye on it then. Thanks for mentioning Bologna, I somehow missed that one. We might be able to work with that if Rome doesn't work out. ItaliaRail seems like a decent alternative.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

It’s better to use nightjet.com or tickets.oebb.at. It is more reliable as it is the company running the train (subsidiary of OBB). Both sites have no booking fee, compared to ItaliaRail or eurail.com

It’s always best to avoid Eurail as they add a 2€ booking fee per person per train. There are often better alternatives (check the reservations thread).

tickets.oebb.at works for IC (3€) and Frecciarossa (10€) trains requiring seat reservations in Italy. The website also obviously works in Austria but also in Germany, Czechia, Hungary and some other nearby countries

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

So basically keep an eye on it then. Thanks for mentioning Bologna, I somehow missed that one. We might be able to work with that if Rome doesn't work out. ItaliaRail seems like a decent alternative.

You could just book from Bologna (price is the same for pass reservations) and board in Rome if it does start there. There will also be Frecciarossa trains from Rome to get to Bologna, but their October timetable hasn't been published yet.