Solved

What's the use of first class in Sweden?

• 4 August 2023
  • 6 replies

When traveling with a first-class interrail ticket in Sweden (with SJ), it seems the first class reservation still costs twice as much as second class. I find this a bit disappointing considering I already paid more for the first-class ticket itself. So this gets even more expensive. Does it really make sense to have a 1st class interrail ticket when traveling Scandinavia?

icon

Best answer by seewulf 4 August 2023, 00:09

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Depends on your preference :) 

I liked the SJ Lounges 
The free Breakfast on early Snalltaget departures 
and the private Shower/WC on Night trains. 

But I even used the 2nd Class quite often on Swedish Trains as they are similar comfortable :)
For the future I wouldn't buy a 1st class pass for a Sweden only trip :) 

Thanks. For sleeper trains I think we will take 2nd class only either way, because 1st class is either really expensive or already booked out. 

Any experiences with 1st class in Norway?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

1st class in Norway is 2nd class (the seats are the same) with free coffee and tea and free reservations.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Yeah, in Norway it’s even less worthwile to have a 1st class pass. Same seats, although you have slightly more legroom. The coffee and tea weren’t that tasty as well 😅

For a small fee you could upgrade, whatever your ticket. But that’s pre privatisation, so it could have changed by now, but it definetly was not worth the extra cost honestly.

I travelled first class by Interrail in Norway and Sweden in May/June 23. First class seat reservations in Norway were free and arranged easily at ticket counters. The Scandanavians, especially young Scandanavians, speak better English than many English people of the same ages, thankfully. Seat reservations in Sweden were made via the national train company's app/website. I had never booked seat reservations this way before entering Sweden, and was a bit overwhelmed at first, but eventually cracked it. My train from Stockholm to Copenhagen was delayed and so I requested a refund. The refund process was simple, effective and courteous. Refreshments in first class were via a machine in Norway and flasks in Sweden. The Lindt chocolates in Sweden were much appreciated. My only other comment: if you are travelling with a lot of luggage, you will probably find more storage space that is closer to hand in first class. This is partly because the first class compartments are less busy.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Yeah, in Norway it’s even less worthwile to have a 1st class pass. Same seats, although you have slightly more legroom. The coffee and tea weren’t that tasty as well 😅

For a small fee you could upgrade, whatever your ticket. But that’s pre privatisation, so it could have changed by now, but it definetly was not worth the extra cost honestly.

I hadn't visited Norway before they tendered out the train services, but from your description it looks like things haven't really changed.