Solved

What to do when having long transfer times in between connections?

• 14 June 2022
  • 6 replies

Hi!

I am looking into buying the global pass and am looking up train times. On some trips I am looking at, I see that it says it takes upwards of 8 hours to change trains. In that time, am I just chilling at a platform or is there a place I can stay?

Thanks!

icon

Best answer by seewulf 14 June 2022, 20:23

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

You can spend the 8hrs how you want depending on the station you may visit a Lounge of the Railcompany if you hold a 1st class pass. Or you explore the City/Village.

Can i ask you where you should wait 8hrs for train. Usually it´s not more than 2hrs.

I was looking at train times from Nice to Barcelona and in Barcelona, there is a wait time for 8 hours. But that is the only one I saw so maybe I just need to do more looking because I think you’re right, for the most part its only like 2 hours. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Better way: split up in parts-check from N to B and again B to onward, this will mostly show more trains. 8 hrs usually means from last train/day till 1st/morning-which should be blindly obvious by checking times=when normal sensible people take a hotel. Lounges are few and far on railways and several will not take passholders-only their own estimated expensive beeznezzaccount holders.

Its also a good idea to play around with the planners (preferably use bahn.com) to see what other options there are-this app is the last to trust/use.

Thanks for the responses! What if I am traveling overnight and have a 2hr change train time, do I just wait on the platform for the 2 hours in the middle of the night or is the station open or something like that?

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Thanks for the responses! What if I am traveling overnight and have a 2hr change train time, do I just wait on the platform for the 2 hours in the middle of the night or is the station open or something like that?

The station itself will be open but i assume the shops will be closed :/
Looks like a change in Villach? The Nighttrains arrive quite early and have a long standing time in Villach as they will be splitted and rebuid new trains :)

For example the Nighttrains from Milan & Rome arrive almost the same time in Villach. Each train have carriages for Vienna & Munich :) In Villach they will split the carriages and build “new trains” with all the carriages for Munich and one trains with all the carriages for Vienna :)

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I was looking at train times from Nice to Barcelona and in Barcelona, there is a wait time for 8 hours. But that is the only one I saw so maybe I just need to do more looking because I think you’re right, for the most part its only like 2 hours. 

For which date and departure time? In Spain, the timetable for more than 2 months into the future may not be complete yet.