Where to check and book seat availability for Luxembourg to Paris

Hi, i would like to know if eurail is the only option to check and book seat reservation for the below route. 

And which website should i use to look for train timings from Bruges (Belgium) to Luxembourg (Luxembourg). I had 3 different results from 3 different websites.

17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

I would use the Belgian rail site for Bruges to Luxembourg. 

Thanks Yorkie. Do you know if the timing that i want for instance the 10:53 is not showing on rail planner app, how do i add it as a journey to generate the qr code for travel? And the price showing on your search results, are they the original ticket price or seat reservation fee? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Bruges-Luxemburg cannot be reserved. Prices are for ordinary tickets mentioned above. Just add that journey to your pass, create a qr code, find a free seat, and you're off. 

Always trust the national planners, never trust the rail planner app. If the majority of the route is in Belgium, then use https://www.belgiantrain.be/en to get the latest real time information. One change needed, best done in Brussels-Midi. Don't be confused, and do not get off in Brussels-Luxemburg station, that's the stop for the European Parliament in Brussels, not Luxemburg city ;) 

The SNCF-connect is quite new and not on point. And gives absurd route suggestions sometimes, often leading you on the most expensive trains. It's not the best planner in the world . :) 

If you want to use one reliable planner, then use bahn.com or DB Navigator (as an app) as it has the most and up to date travel information of Europe in it.

You can always add a train manually in the Rail Planner app, in order to generate a QR code. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

@AshleyL For reservations on TGV from Luxemburg to Paris, check this guide: https://community.eurail.com/train-connections-reservations-47/how-to-get-reservations-105/index3.html?postid=37040#post37040

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Thanks Yorkie. Do you know if the timing that i want for instance the 10:53 is not showing on rail planner app, how do i add it as a journey to generate the qr code for travel? And the price showing on your search results, are they the original ticket price or seat reservation fee? 

The site I linked is the site for buying tickets, not for pass users. You can use any of these to work out routings and timings but ignore any prices as your pass is your ticket. The only extra you need to pay for trains operated by the members of the network are reservations (mandatory or optional), which are always separate from your pass.

As Brendan posted for all non-reservation trains you simply add them to your trip (manually if not showing in the planner) and operate the virtual slider to transfer it to your travel day. The advice is not to start your travel day until you know you are definitely travelling - it can be done right up to boarding.

Thanks Brendan and Yorkie, your information really made it much easier to navigate. One last question, when searching for train on oebb after putting the eurail as discount card, does it mean no seat reservation is required if it shows as ticket not available or it means sold out?

Thanks Brendan and Yorkie, your information really made it much easier to navigate. One last question, when searching for train on oebb after putting the eurail as discount card, does it mean no seat reservation is required if it shows as ticket not available or it means sold out?

Reservation is required for this trip and it's not sold out. 

But you can't buy tickets or reservations within France with austrian railways (ÖBB). That's why it shows "Ticket not available".

For these two connections, you''d need a reservation for the Intercity train from Nimes to Toulouse which will cost 10 €.

The reservation guide linked before does list all ways to buy it. 

Thanks Hektor. I’ve another question for you all.
While searching for seat reservation on beurope for Paris Nord to Brussels Midi, there was limited train times as compared to SNCF and DB. Is beurope more accurate? And can i buy 1st class seat reservation if I’ve a eurail pass 2nd class pass? Because when i select eurail pass 2nd class, the train time 16:25 doesn’t appear as an option.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

That's because the other trains are already full for passholders. The 16:25 train only has seats for 1st class passholders left. And no you can't travel in 1st class with a 2nd class pass

Sunday 21st May is on a holiday weekend so a lot of people will be travelling.

If you can't take the 08:07 train I'd recommend searching the availabilities for TGVs between Paris-Nord and Lille (Flandres or Europe stations) and then take a regional train to Kortrijk and an IC to Brussels

Or travelling another day...

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

B-Europe usually only shows the trains where there is some availability for pass holder reservations. If there’s none, it doesn’t list the train.

You can’t use a first class reservation with a second class pass. (But you can use a second class reservation with a first class pass!)

Actually my actual journey is Rennes to Brussels but searched for the seat reservation separately using the recommended transit station. In this case, any other transit station that i can consider?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

There is a direct TGV leaving Rennes for Brussels at 06:23. It would be the best solution.

There are 10€ passholder fares until Lille-Europe but I don't know how to get a seat reservation direct to Brussels.

Hopefully someone will be able to help you

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Actually my actual journey is Rennes to Brussels but searched for the seat reservation separately using the recommended transit station. In this case, any other transit station that i can consider?

You could also try Marne la Vallée-Chessy (Disneyland Paris!) or CDG Airport as a connection. I saw some journeys with a transfer there. It’s easier than changing stations in Paris, but probably fewer connections per day and a bit slower.

Userlevel 6
Badge +4

There is a direct TGV leaving Rennes for Brussels at 06:23. It would be the best solution.

There are 10€ passholder fares until Lille-Europe but I don't know how to get a seat reservation direct to Brussels.

These can online only be obtained from the Eurail reservations portal. Reservations cost €20 in 2nd class or €30 in 1st, plus a €2 per ticket fee charged by the Interrail portal.

Note however, passholder reservations on these France-Belgium TGV's are only available in limited quotas.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Okay thanks !

So @AshleyL Interrail is your best option unless you are fine with taking the TGV to Lille (direct, 10€) and then a regional and an Intercity train

Thanks all for your help, really appreciate it. In the end I’ve decided not to buy the eurail pass as it has limited and high fee seat reservations. Instead, I’ve bought the SNCF carte advantage card which works out to be cheaper and no limitation on seat availability. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thanks all for your help, really appreciate it. In the end I’ve decided not to buy the eurail pass as it has limited and high fee seat reservations. Instead, I’ve bought the SNCF carte advantage card which works out to be cheaper and no limitation on seat availability. 

That’s unfortunately often the case, with the French railways. Luckily a pass is better value in almost all other countries in Europe.

A carte avantage is usually a very good deal anyway, it usually pays back after 1 long journey in France. To enjoy better discounts in France, it’s still recommended to travel to/from Lille, as Belgium is not fully included in the Carte avantage scheme if I’m not mistaken.

What’s your age? If you’re under 26 it’s also very cheap to travel in Belgium with the Youth Ticket (max 7,10 per journey).

Even if you’re a bit older there are also some interesting options to travel cheap within Belgium, like the Standard Multi. But it depends if that’s interesting, on the amount of journeys you make in Belgium, or wether you travel in a small group or not: https://www.belgiantrain.be/en/tickets-and-railcards/overview-products