Solved

Which route trains I should take from Interlaken to Chur

• 6 April 2024
  • 2 replies

Hello,

I am little not sure about what train route I should take from Interlaken to Chur, (in May) with Interrail Global pass. I need to catch Bernina express from Chur as early as possible. I checked Rail planner and Google Maps, all route showing via Bern and Zurich, and no trains showing via Lucerne (not sure if via Lucerne will be less time consuming or not). Kindly suggest.

TIA 

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 6 April 2024, 22:52

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The route via Lucerne and the Brünnig pass takes longer time, about 4 hours and 20 minutes, compared to about a bit less than 3,5 hours via Berne and Zürich. However, the route via Brünnig is nicer.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Bernina Express leaves Chur at 08:28 so you'd have to leave Interlaken at 04:58 -> way too early!

However starting 11th May there is a second daily Bernina Express leaving Chur at 13:28. Plenty of time to reach Chur via Lucerne and Pfäffikon SZ casually (or faster via Bern) :

- IR Interlaken Ost - Lucerne 09:04 - 10:55

- IR70 Lucerne - Zürich HB 11:09 - 11:50

- IC3 Zürich HB - Chur 12:07 - 13:22

- BEX Chur - Tirano 13:34 - 17:59

(Luzern - Pfäffikon SZ is beautiful too but you'd have to wait too long.)

Anyway there are hourly regional trains on Chur - Tirano enabling you to be flexible. Straightforward same-platform changes in Samedan and Pontresina or little detour via St. Moritz. :)

If you want to search connections via Lucerne add via Lucerne in the planner. And please use SBB app instead of the unreliable Rail Planner.