Solved

Why can't I find a fast train from Milan to Rome?

• 21 November 2022
  • 4 replies

I am busy planning my itinerary for a European trip with my 18 year old son next year and I can’t seem to find any fast trains from Milan to Rome on May 18th. We have global passes and I’ve managed to do a reservation on Eurostar already. Is it too early to find them for Italian legs of our journey? I notice there are tonnes at the moment but the only train routes I can find for next May are 14 to 22 hours long for that leg. Yikes! We have a tight schedule at that end of the trip so want to know if I should wait or just book another carrier that’s not part of Eurail. Any insights or advice?

icon

Best answer by Yorkie 21 November 2022, 14:05

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Where are you looking? I see plenty of trains on trenitalia.com.

The rail planner app and eurail.com don't get enough updates to be reliable and should not be used for any planning. Use national websites or apps; for international planning, the DB website or DB Navigator app is a good choice.

Edit: sorry, I was looking at the wrong date. It seems Trenitalia hasn't provided the timetable yet for 6 March and later. I suggest to look at the timetable for the same day of the week a few months earlier. 18 May is Ascension day, so expect Sunday timetables.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Waaaaaaaaaaaaat too early, as is the case in about 99% of these worried postings from far overseas.

FRECCE hi-speed trains will run even then at last hourly (on normal weekdays in the peaks up to 3 - 4 /hr).

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Most trains in Europe release reservations 2 to 3 months before travel date and on lines like Milan to Rome there will always be many trains throughout the day so don’t worry at this stage. I needed a booking in Italy this year and  it was finally available about 6 weeks before travel. 

For reservations for domestic Italian trains use the OEBB.at site but be sure to add the Interrail/Eurail pass discount for each passenger, do not use the seat only option - just ask if unsure.

Wonderful! Thank you!