Solved

Why does the app give only high speed trains?

As for 4 days in a row all tickets from Toulouse to Spain (I tried Madrid, Barcelona, Girona, Pamplona) are sold out, I thought of trying local trains. I don't mind the change more often, besides it's a great way to meet locals and see more than just a fast blur by 250/h. But no, I can't find any connection. I tried Toulouse - Narbonne - Port-Bou, just over the border and from there to Barcelona. Nope, I have to back to Perpignan. I tried Toulouse - Orthez and then to Pamplona, but those are buses. 

I suppose the locals go by train too, don't they? I bet they don't take all a TGV, but just a train that stops at every tree. ;)

Why don't these local trains show up?

Anyone advice about how to get to Spain from Toulouse other than the TGV via Narbonne?

icon

Best answer by rvdborgt 22 May 2022, 19:12

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

The spanish railway does not share their timetable with Eurail so that's why only a few Spanish trains are shown. There are ways to find the trains, but I'm not an expert on that. @rvdborgt and @seewulf can you help?

Up to the spanish border, it’s possible to find the regional trains in the timetable app. From Toulouse, you should head to Latour de Carol-Enveitg for the most scenic route.

For the spanish side, you need to have a look here: Horarios de Trenes de Rodalies de Catalunya (renfe.com)

Possible connection for tomorrow: 15.47 from Toulouse, one change in Latour, arrives Barcelona Sants 22.15 (also possible in the morning at 9.47; takes a little bit longer).

Kind regards, Hektor.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Currently, Spanish timetables are in the DB planner until some time next month, and also in the rail planner app, if you have downloaded the latest update (app version should be 23.2.0). Use "No seat reservations required” in the options. For tomorrow, you'll find for example:

Or:

No reservations needed.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Of course, RENFE (Spanish) wouldn't be RENFE if they hadn't left out something of from the timetables they sent to the European Timetable Centre. Latour-de-Carol - Barcelona is missing. You'll find it here (Lat Tor de Querol = Latour-de-Carol). Cerbère/Portbou - Barcelona can be found here.

RENFE must be one of the most customer-hostile railway companies in Europe. SNCF is not quite as bad but co-operation between those 2 doesn't really work, as you can see for example from trains that just fail to connect in Latour by a few minutes.

Thank you all. It took quite some time, but I found a nice route via Bilbao (stay there) to Madrid. For the part between the border and Bilbao I need to buy tickets, as Euskotren (the Bask train company) isn't a participant as far as I can see, but ticket prices a just a few euros if I looked at their webpage correctly. And using such trains gives me the opportunity to see more from Spain then when using faster ones.