Solved

Zurich to Milan trains

• 20 August 2023
  • 4 replies

• Rail rookie
  • 2 replies

Hi everyone,

I’m travelling with my elderly parents and noticed recently that trains from Zurich to Italy have changed route recently.
Some of the trains now say reservation not required. I’m worried that we won’t be able to get a seat if you can’t reserve a seat on these trains. Is there a way to guarantee a seat on these trains? Please see below a screenshot for your reference. Also, the direct trains which say reservation required on the app then say on the reservation website that prices are unavailable- are these booked out?

Thanks all!

Waz

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 20 August 2023, 01:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

When are you travelling ?

There has been a freight train derailment in the Gotthard Base Tunnel and all passenger trains are diverted via the old scenic railway until further notice. The journey takes an hour longer and trains run every 30-60 min.

Schedule is online for the next few days on sbb.ch/SBB app.

Seat reservations are not really a thing in Switzerland, simply hop on and sit wherever you want. Zurich is the departure station so you will find a seat easily.

Thanks for the quick reply and clarifying! What about once you enter Italy and seat reservations? 

We are leaving Zurich on 1 October and actually need to arrive in Venice that day. We wanted to go through Milan however as it’s on the way down.

When we try to book a direct train though from Zurich to Milan it says prices are unavailable which made me think that maybe it’s booked out? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The (scenic) divertion will probably last until early 2024 but the uploaded schedule isn't available for now so I guess that's why seat reservations are not possible right now. Come back in a week or two.

About seat reservations in Italy : the hourly RE between Lugano and Milan doesn't need any but ECs do (11€) as well as Frecciarossas (13€). Last-minute availability is not an issue btw.

There is a daily Zurich - Venice EC but otherwise it is easy to swap trains in Milan making it also possible to stop there for a few hours.

Great thanks again for the quick reply!