Solved

1 day pass in Switzerland

• 19 September 2023
  • 18 replies

Badge +1

Hello 

Is there a eurail pass available for 1 day(Saturday) in Switzerland. 

I wish to travel from Geneva.

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 22 September 2023, 22:14

View original

18 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Where do you want to travel to? You can buy a Saver Day Pass from SBB, with prices starting from CHF 52. It gives unlimited travel in Switzerland, excluding some mountain railways.

https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-switzerland.htm#Saver_Day_Pass

Badge +1

I wish to travel from Geneva to few places Switzerland in train like Gelmerbahn, Lauterbrunnen, lausanne. 

I have to take trains like IC1, IR15, EC, IC81, IR, PE, R70, R71, Bus171. So is that SAVER DAY PASS/ SAVINGS DAY CARD is valid in all of these trains ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

That page has a link to this map, which shows you where the pass is valid.

Any solid red, yellow or black lines. Including dashed lines (which are tunnels!) but not dotted lines.

I think buses are included, yes.

Badge +1

Yes I understand about solid red, yellow or black lines, dashed lines. how about THIN RED LINE? Is that saver day pass applicable in Thin red line also? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the thin line is a regional train, it's valid. A Saver Day Pass is valid on the whole public transportation network of the country except mountain railways like Wengen - Jungfraujoch.

I'd suggest going one-way via Montreux, Zweisimmen (Golden Pass) and on the way back via Bern. Download SBB app to get an idea about timetables. :)

If you have further questions don't hesitate. Gelmerbahn needs to be booked in advance but don't worry there are plenty other (better) funiculars, cable cars, steam railways,...

Badge +1

Ok. I have only one day(Saturday) to visit Switzerland. Consider im Leaving from Geneva airport at 8am, and I want to travel by train. Whats the better and nearest place to visit in same day, and return back to Geneva at 7pm

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

For me there is no question.

Take the train from Geneva Airport to Montreux at 0801, then the very scenic Goldenpass route from Mountreux via Interlaken to Lucerne.

https://journey.mob.ch/en/stories/montreux-zweisimmen-line

You would arrive in Luzern at 1355, and then it will take 3-3.5 hours to come back to Geneva via the Intercity route.

You could spend a couple of hours in Luzern, but I would prefer to stop off in Bern instead. It’s a beautiful city, and very pleasant place to spend a few hours.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Same suggestion here :)

Due to works the 08:01 train leaves at 07:56 instead. It's also possible to take the 08:13 train but the connection in Montreux is a bit tight (doable because same platform).

But more importantly : do you have a flight that evening ? If that's the case better to only go as far as Interlaken and then straight to Bern !

About tickets : if you're only taking trains on Saturday buy a full-fare Saver Day Pass for 106 CHF on sbb.ch/SBB app. Hop on hop off across the whole country and that's it.

If you're likely to make train journeys in other European countries maybe consider a 4-5 day Eurail Global Pass.

Badge +1

Thank you very much.. Anyone help me on TRAIN STOP NAME as well. As per suggestion above From routes Geneva - Montreux - Interlaken - Lucerne - Bern - Geneva

Badge +1

Is the Saver day pass FREE for Tram also ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes even boats are included :)

Badge +1

Shall i book the ticket online in https://www.sbb.ch/de/kaufen/pages/kontingent/kontingent.xhtml 

OR i should pick up this pass at nearest ticket counter ? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I thought you had bought the ticket, my bad… Saver Day Passes need to be bought in advance. Prices start at 52 CHF and increase closer to the travel date. Now it costs 119 CHF. Buy it right now since the sale will stop at midnight (not possible to buy this kind of ticket on the day).

If you're under 25 y.o. the Friends Day Pass costs 80 CHF.

If you're likely to take any other train during your trip I'd suggest a 4-day Eurail Global Pass. Let me know what the rest of your trip is like and I'll help.

Badge +1

I could not find FRIENDS SAY PASS in that SBB link 

I dont have any other travel plan. only one day, thats tomorrow im planning to travel 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Here you go : https://www.sbb.ch/en/travelcards-and-tickets/tickets-for-switzerland/day-pass/friends-day-pass-youth.html

Staff will probably check your ID to verify age, don't worry about that though. :)

Badge +1

Ok. in any specific trains this pass will not get valid ? 
because i want o travel from Geneva - Lucerne - Montreux - Interlaken - Bern - Geneva

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The Saver Day Pass/Friends Day Pass is valid on all Swiss trains, buses, boats, trams and some cable cars. Your whole itinerary is covered.

Your itinerary should look like :

- Geneva - Montreux - Interlaken - Lucerne - Bern - Geneva or

- Geneva - Montreux - Interlaken - boat on Lake Thun or Brienz - Bern - Geneva

The day pass gives you a lot of flexibility. Feel free to "go with the flow". Use the SBB app.

The journey is part of the experience, especially in Switzerland. Spend most of your time on trains in my opinion.

Lucerne isn't worth a lot of your time, maybe max 30 min between trains. The wooden bridge is next to the station.

Badge +1

Hello @thibcabe Thank you so much for your guidance.. I really enjoyed a day trip, it was like a dream land. I could not believe my eyes even now and admired about the bluish lake and river in swizz.. especially GLACIER WATER 😍😍  

FINALLY MY TRIP WAS:: Geneva - Interlaken (Ferry trip till Brienz) - Lauterbrunnen(cable car) - Murren - Lauterbrunnen(cable car) - Interlaken - Geneva.. 

Plz continue to support people like me, if you are happy to help..! God bless you 😇