Skip to main content
Solved

Border check at French trains

• 1 July 2024
  • 4 replies

I have noticed a new type of remark in the interrail planner (both app and web) for trains crossing the border to France, saying “Allow extra time for bording”. And if I click it, it says “Allow 20 minutes for border and bag checks”. For security measures, boarding is possible until 5 minutes before departure, so arrive at the station early.”

What has changed?

I know that France has introduced passport-check during the Olympics, but this message comes for all scheduled trips (until December) in and out of France (in both directions).

I am fine with a passport-check, but what do they mean by “bag check”? Is it X-ray machines like at the airport? I am bringing a backpack with camping equipment (for hiking in the Pyrenees), that may or may not look suspicious in an X-ray machine.

I can’t find anything about any extra border check anywhere else than the interrail planner. If I look at SNCFs planner, is says that I can board the train up to 2 minutes before departure - just like normal.

Maybe this is just the interrail “planner” that are behaving a little strange? I am not using it as my primary planner, but I have to use it to enter trips in the Rail Planner app.

Palle Dam

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +10

Hello, 

what I know airport style checks are only for Eurostar trains to/from London. 

But maybe also ex Thalys and now Eurostar has also this checks in Brussels. I don't think that other stations has the capacity for such checks.

Userlevel 7
Badge +15

Former Thalys (now Eurostar) from Paris have from time to time short checks on the luggage (Depends on the current Counter Terorismlevel in France) 

Had a similar check already on TGV's from Strasbourg (all had to pass a dog) and Bordeux 

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

With the Olympics we can definitely expect more such checks, especially on TGVs.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If the bag check on TGV is just a dog, then I won’t be worried. I guess they can’t smell my curtlery. But I am considering to bring gas canisters instead for liquid fuel for my stove.

On my way out the 23/7 (a few days before the Olympics starts) I will travel from SW Germany to Paris Est. Then cross the city to Paris Austerlitz, where I will take a night train to the Pyrenees. I am not sure where I will cross the German/French border. Probably Saarbrücken (starting from Mannheim) or Strasbourg. That depends on how late my SJ night train from Denmark (EN345) will arrive in Hamburg. It is often very delayed. I have bought a couple of refundable reservation for different trains from SW Germany to Paris. 

I will travel back around the 4/8. I had considered to take a night train from Toulouse to Paris and then a normal train to Germany. But maybe it is better to avoid Paris during the Olympics. Instead there is a direct train (TGV 5500) from Montpellier to Strasbourg.