Covid Testing Requirements at Borders

• 15 December 2021
  • 4 replies

Hi.  My wife and I are planning a trip throughout the EU this Spring.  While I fully understand that things will change between now and then, I am trying to understand the status now with respect to Covid Testing Requirements at the borders.

We are fully vaxxed and boosted - I AM NOT WORRIED ABOUT PROOF OF VACCINATION.  What I am wondering is if the trains are the same as planes - where you need to have a negative test result before entering a country.  Is there a similar requirement on the train?

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

What I am wondering is if the trains are the same as planes - where you need to have a negative test result before entering a country.  Is there a similar requirement on the train?

That depends on the country and it can change. At this moment, just a few countries require a test (Switzerland, Italy). Nobody can predict the situation will be in spring, so please check reopen.europa.eu when your journey gets closer.

Thank you!  As I said in the post - I fully understand it can change quickly.  I am very curious how the process works entering Switzerland by train - how is this policy enforced?  Train stations are much more free flowing than airports.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

The main thing is-and this is how about anyone here in EU knows it-you need to have a QR-code-some countries call this other; in IT its '’GreenPass'’ in FR '’passe sanitaire'’. You get this on demand after the 2 vacciantions or for short time after a negative test.  The vaccinations mean you hardly ever have to do the test again. SOME countries also want you to make an online registration, some with also this code to download as proof.

I had an InterRail for 2 monthes sept-nov and passed CH 3 times-all 3 arriving on local trains, did the registration and this was not checked at all. But I did not stay in HTL there-way too expensive.

I advice you-as apparently you are from US or maybe Canuck/ to check the wide touristy forum of tripadvisor and see what the advice is on how to get the QR with your vaccination pass and/or what tips fellow US people can give.

However-in some countries-the TGVin FR, and since last week ANY transit anywhere in IT-also for trains in DE=germany, you need to be '’2G'’'= either vaccinated or recently recovered, and this is fairly often checke before boarding or sometimes en-route by railwaypolice. In fact far, far more often as just at borders!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

However-in some countries-the TGVin FR, and since last week ANY transit anywhere in IT-also for trains in DE=germany, you need to be '’2G'’'= either vaccinated or recently recovered

No, in Germany the requirement is 3G:

https://www.bahn.de/info/corona_startseite_bahnde