Solved

Deutschland-Ticket

• 11 December 2023
  • 5 replies

Hi everyone!

I am checking on the Deutschland-Ticket (49 Euro per month) for German local, public transports.

I am little confused about the validity time and cancellation here.

So if I would like to travel in Germany in December, I can buy the ticket now (13. Dec)? And it will work immediately this month? What if I don’t need it in January next year, so I can cancel it by the end of December? Or there are some time deadlines for the cancellation?

Thanks very much!

icon

Best answer by thibcabe 11 December 2023, 23:10

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Yes the validity works by calendar months and you generally must cancel before the 10th day of the month to avoid paying the next one.

So if you were to buy it now, you’d have to pay 2 x 49€ for a ticket valid from now until 31st January.

I haven’t found an operator offering later cancellation but happy to be proven wrong.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

There are 2 interesting Deutschlandticket sources I've used:

1. HVV using the HVV Switch app. You can choose the start date and then you only pay for the remaining part of the month. If you order before the 10th of the month, then you can also still cancel by the end of the same month and you have a Deutschlandticket for only part of a month. E.g. I have one for 22-31 Dec. for €16.11. When I ordered in September, they didn’t accept non-German credits cards or direct debit from non-German back accounts (which I'm pretty sure is illegal within the SEPA area) but they do accept Paypal.
  2. Mopla allows you to cancel a Deutschlandticket until 24 hours before the end of the month. So you can still order a Deutschlandticket now and cancel it, so you don't have one for January anymore. You'll still have to pay for the whole month of December. They accept non-German credit cards.

I haven't (yet) seen the combination of the 2: pay part of the month and cancel after the 9th of the month, but you can't have it all...

There are 2 interesting Deutschlandticket sources I've used:

1. HVV using the HVV Switch app. You can choose the start date and then you only pay for the remaining part of the month. If you order before the 10th of the month, then you can also still cancel by the end of the same month and you have a Deutschlandticket for only part of a month. E.g. I have one for 22-31 Dec. for €16.11. When I ordered in September, they didn’t accept non-German credits cards or direct debit from non-German back accounts (which I'm pretty sure is illegal within the SEPA area) but they do accept Paypal.
  2. Mopla allows you to cancel a Deutschlandticket until 24 hours before the end of the month. So you can still order a Deutschlandticket now and cancel it, so you don't have one for January anymore. You'll still have to pay for the whole month of December. They accept non-German credit cards.

I haven't (yet) seen the combination of the 2: pay part of the month and cancel after the 9th of the month, but you can't have it all...

Thanks so much! Really helpful!

Yes the validity works by calendar months and you generally must cancel before the 10th day of the month to avoid paying the next one.

So if you were to buy it now, you’d have to pay 2 x 49€ for a ticket valid from now until 31st January.

I haven’t found an operator offering later cancellation but happy to be proven wrong.

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

I am using mo.pla and can only recommend it. 
You pay 49 euro always but the flexibility is great and it works without problems. Easy to add to your wallet too.