Badge

Is it safe now to travel Europe with pandemic staring at us

icon

Best answer by Arrekirre 15 June 2021, 07:32

View original

10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Travelling on trains is probably safe enough, but most countries won’t let foreigners in!  So if you can’t get in, you can’t ride on the trains...

Badge

I think it’s really important to keep updated on the entry requirements of each country...you wouldn’t want to plan a multi cit trip only to find out that you don’t have the necessary paperwork etc to enter a country.  I belong to several travel websites where COvid requirements/restrictions are updated frequently.  Hopefully 2022 will allow us some normalcy as far as travel goes:relaxed:

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think it’s really important to keep updated on the entry requirements of each country...you wouldn’t want to plan a multi cit trip only to find out that you don’t have the necessary paperwork etc to enter a country.  I belong to several travel websites where COvid requirements/restrictions are updated frequently.  Hopefully 2022 will allow us some normalcy as far as travel goes:relaxed:

All we can do at the moment is cross our fingers - and hope!

Userlevel 2

https://reopen.europa.eu is a really good resource. Data is updated frequently. It facilitates planning a multinational trip. For example, some countries will allow entry without restrictions if you’re only passing through, others will require testing or quarantine. There’s a tool where you can put in your itinerary and see if it’s possible R not.

Userlevel 1
Badge

https://reopen.europa.eu is a really good resource. Data is updated frequently. It facilitates planning a multinational trip. For example, some countries will allow entry without restrictions if you’re only passing through, others will require testing or quarantine. There’s a tool where you can put in your itinerary and see if it’s possible R not.

That’s certainly useful, but with the situation changing almost daily it’s still somewhat risky trying to plan anything at the moment.  We were supposed to have had all restrictions lifted next Monday, but that’s no longer the case.  The current prediction is that all restrictions will be lifted on the 19th July, but I shall believe that if it happens!

Remember all those people that went to Portugal because it was a ‘green’ country?  It was then put on the ‘amber’ list and there was a mad scramble as they all tried to get back home before the deadline...

I can’t help thinking that the nearest we shall get to Continental travel this year is buying a bottle of French or German wine at the local supermarket across the road!

Userlevel 2

That’s certainly useful, but with the situation changing almost daily it’s still somewhat risky trying to plan anything at the moment.  We were supposed to have had all restrictions lifted next Monday, but that’s no longer the case.  The current prediction is that all restrictions will be lifted on the 19th July, but I shall believe that if it happens!

You’re right. For every day that passes my hope for an intercontinental travel diminishes. I think I’ll be content with a national interrail this year. Our national rail service, SJ, have a summer promotion for a national railing experience.

Userlevel 1
Badge

You’re right. For every day that passes my hope for an intercontinental travel diminishes. I think I’ll be content with a national interrail this year. Our national rail service, SJ, have a summer promotion for a national railing experience.

I don’t think you can do that!  As I understand it, you can’t use an Interrail Pass in your own country except as part of a journey to another country.

No doubt someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I don’t think you can do that!  As I understand it, you can’t use an Interrail Pass in your own country except as part of a journey to another country.

No doubt someone will correct me if I’m wrong about that.

As Arreekirre wrote SJ (Swedish Rail) have a special offer due the summer that is like a Interrailpass for Sweden.

You are right a Interrail Global Pass allows offical just a outbound day to leave the Country and a Inbound day to get back home :)

Userlevel 2

Exactly. It’s not an interrail pass, which wouldn’t  allow me to travel within Sweden as a Swede. The Swedish Rail, SJ, offers a special summer ticket for everyone.

Check your national rails for a similar promotions if you don’t/can’t travel abroad but want the railway experience.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Exactly. It’s not an interrail pass, which wouldn’t  allow me to travel within Sweden as a Swede. The Swedish Rail, SJ, offers a special summer ticket for everyone.

Check your national rails for a similar promotions if you don’t/can’t travel abroad but want the railway experience.

Well, you did call it an interrail pass! 

As all our railways are supposedly privatised, the nearest thing we have have to an Interrail Pass is a seven day or 14 day All Line Rover Ticket.  There are also regional Ranger and Rover tickets which cover specific geographical areas for either one day or several days.  

These aren’t special offers though; they, or similar tickets, have been around ever since I can remember.  I used a Freedom of Scotland ticket as long ago as 1960.