Solved

Franfurst train station night

Userlevel 1

Hey guys, 

I’m currently on my Interrail (2month from last years sale) and I’m going from Prague to Alost in Belgium.

There’s a transition in Frankfurt Hbf between 2:11 AM - 6:28 AM, does anyone have an idea what to do (ideally where to sleep) in that time? Since I’ve heard it’s forbidden to stay in the train station.

I’m probably looking for a train somewhere and back or something like that? Would anyone care to share a helpful advice please? Thank you all very much

Matej

icon

Best answer by Matej Kovar 18 April 2023, 17:06

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

When are you travelling?

I wouldn’t recommend such an overnight stay on ordinary trains. You want get a lot of sleep and you’ll be knackered the day after. Isn’t it possible to leave earlier, in order to stop earlier on the day and get proper sleep at a hostel somewhere? The pass gives you that flexibility.

Connections Frankfurt - Brussels is quite good, about every two hours so if you take two trains later you can have a full night’s sleep in a hostel somewhere.

Trains Brussel-Alost are frequent, about 3 trains every hour, much more in rush hour.

Userlevel 1

Thank you for your answer Brendan!

For various reasons (spontaneity/lack of planning) I need to get to Alost as soon as possible and this seems to be the only possible option

Edit:

Then knackerdness is most likely inevitable and I’m fine with it, only trying to optimize the upcoming situation

My travel plan

Prague 18:26 - 22:19 Leipzig Hbf

Leipzig 22:55-2:11 Frankfurt Hbf

Frankfurt 6:28-9:35 Bruxelles Midi

Bruxelles Midi 9:49-10:17 Alost

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I’m currently on my Interrail (2month from last years sale) and I’m going from Prague to Alost in Belgium.

Do keep in mind that the station signs will say "Aalst”, which is the official name. Unfortunately, because of incorrect data in the timetable delivered by Belgian railways, the French name is always shown in the planner results, but at the station you will only see the Dutch name, so don't be confused.

Userlevel 1

Aaah thank you!! That is very helpful Rvdborgt!

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Thank you for your answer Brendan!

For various reasons (spontaneity/lack of planning) I need to get to Alost as soon as possible and this seems to be the only possible option

Edit:

Then knackerdness is most likely inevitable and I’m fine with it, only trying to optimize the upcoming situation

My travel plan

Prague 18:26 - 22:19 Leipzig Hbf

Leipzig 22:55-2:11 Frankfurt Hbf

Frankfurt 6:28-9:35 Bruxelles Midi

Bruxelles Midi 9:49-10:17 Alost

You can maybe try to find a train to Cologne, and catch the ICE from there. There should be an IC at 03:22 from Frankfurt/Main Hbf, arrving at Cologne at 5:57 (checked for tomorrow, as you mentioned no exact date).

And from Cologne you might take an RE to Aachen, from where you can also take the ICE. If not, and you want to keep moving, take a Local train to Welkenraedt and then an IC to Brussels (but an hour slower than the ICE Cologne-BXL).

Userlevel 1

Basically my question is, if anybody would be able to come up with a de-route, so that I would avoid or at least shorten the 4hour night stay in Frankfurt

Edit: Oh, you’ve already came up with one, thank you.

and yes, exactly the exact date is tomorrow 

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Voilà, there you have it. :) You’re welcome!

Good luck with the journey.

Userlevel 1

Oh nice! That is wow! Amazing man! Nice nice nice! Crazy cool! Thank you mate! Brendan, you - have - just - made - my - day!

Thank you a thousand times! 

thanks mate, you’re the man!!

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You could also go to Mannheim if you'd like (always can choose last-minute), ICE seats are a little bit more comfortable in my opinion :

- EN Praha hl.n. - Leipzig Hbf 18:26 - 22:19

- ICE Leipzig Hbf - Mannheim Hbf 22:55 - 03:23

- ICE Mannhein Hbf - Köln Hbf 04:01 - 06:03

- and from there to Aachen, etc

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just one thing extra: you could also take the Thalys at 6h44 in Cologne, but you’ll need to ask train staff if they could sell you a reservation at the spot (if there’s still seats available). Imho it’s a bit expensive reservation fee (+/- 25 EUR for a relatively short stretch), but it’s the quickest option to Brussels (and Aalst afterwards) and you minimise change time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Just one thing extra: you could also take the Thalys at 6h44 in Cologne, but you’ll need to ask train staff if they could sell you a reservation at the spot (if there’s still seats available). Imho it’s a bit expensive reservation fee (+/- 25 EUR for a relatively short stretch),

They can, but it will cost almost the double amount.

Userlevel 7
Badge +7

Just one thing extra: you could also take the Thalys at 6h44 in Cologne, but you’ll need to ask train staff if they could sell you a reservation at the spot (if there’s still seats available). Imho it’s a bit expensive reservation fee (+/- 25 EUR for a relatively short stretch),

They can, but it will cost almost the double amount.

Oh, didn't know that. Thalys and Interrail, always a guaranteed rip-off. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +6

Why not going to Frankfurt airport? There it is warm, free toilet and safe