Germany - anyone travel there now?

• 12 December 2021
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 1

Curious if anyone is in Germany right now? I'm thinking about going there in mid January and just wanted to know on hand experience about the restrictions. I have read about them. Vaccine and mask. But I'm unsure about the quarantine? If anyone can tell a little about their current experience I'd appreciate it :)

5 replies

Userlevel 1

Curious if anyone is in Germany right now? I'm thinking about going there in mid January and just wanted to know on hand experience about the restrictions. I have read about them. Vaccine and mask. But I'm unsure about the quarantine? If anyone can tell a little about their current experience I'd appreciate it :)

And yes I've read on reopen EU.. But I'm interested in people's experience :). This was what I loved with the fb group so hope it applies here too.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I haven't ’been in Germany yet since the introduction of the COVID certificate obligation (vaccinated, cured or tested). But since there's no way millions of passengers in public transport can be checked every day, there will only be spot checks.

Quarantine depends on where you've been in the 10 days before entry. The best is to use the entry form, which will have you enter these countries and which will then tell you what you'll need to do. It will do that even before submitting it, so it's a handy tool.

Userlevel 3
Badge

Restrictions and practices vary by state and even city. The Christmas market in Leipzig was canceled, but a market was held in Halle, 30 kilometers away.

It's difficult to say what the situation will be in a month's time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Have been/passed by many times during my last IR-sep-nov, BUT since then in many areas measures have been much more stringent and more are seemingly to follow, due to the new govmt, who promises to keep a very strict regime.

In fact it was not overly difficult, similar to many other countries. Wear a mask and show your EU-QR-code many times-certainly in all hotels etc. Its germany, so rules are taken more strict as in most other countries. PLus the mask has to be a medical standard.

However, f.e. since a week or 2 some areas with very low vaccination rates have been completely closed for tourism-Sachsen (Leipzig and Dresden) and its also dependent on your country and what status is has in the eyes of the german health ministry. You MAY also have to fill out an online form and download your QR codes. As has been told so many times now; reopeneurope is the best site for uptodate info for EU-citizens.

In DE most times you will see either 2G or 3G=this means 2=vaccinated or recovered, 3=also with recent negative test. IF you do not have 2G, in many cities there are testing tents-it may or may not cost you money

You most likely will have more recent reviews on general touristy fora like tripadvisor and the like

Badge

As a German I’d say: It’s not the best place to visit at the moment but here’s what you need to know.

As @mcadv said rule are quite strict but that’s due to the high numbers of cases. So I advise to be careful.

If you are not vaccinated or recovered you might get some difficulties. When you see 2G it means a negative test result isn’t enough. In Saxony, they’ll even ask you for 2G proof in trains. I don’t know about other states but that’s something you should definitely keep in mind.

Also be prepared and bring FFP2 masks. It varies from state to state but sometimes you’ll need these masks for public transport, shops, etc.