Solved

Help in travel

• 21 April 2024
  • 8 replies

Badge +4

hi, I want to go from Wroclaw to Venice, and then take the train to Silicia to take a ferry to the island, and then return home. Do you have any thoughts on the layout? I’m thinking of going to Verona, spending the night there, going to see Venice in the morning, and either in the evening or the next day I’ll go to Silicia. The problem is that I have 3 out of 4 days left on the pass which makes everything even more complicated.

•  
icon

Best answer by thibcabe 21 April 2024, 14:44

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

I guess you'll have to buy tickets at some point as you don't have enough pass days.

- pass day 1 : Wroclaw - Verona

- pass day 2 : Verona - Venice - Bologna (where you board the night train to Sicily)

You wake up right before the last European train-ferry and then you're in Sicily!

To get back you'll need at least 2 pass days so that's where things get complicated.

Buy a ticket for whichever journey is cheaper:

- night train Sicily - Bologna/Milan

- Bologna/Milan - Wroclaw (probably best value to use the pass day here)

Or you could do something else:

- ticket: night train up to Milan

- pass day: Milan - Tirano - Bernina railway (stunning!) - ... - Feldkirch/Bregenz - new night train to Vienna (look up mini cabins, they're good and cheap on that route)

- ticket: Vienna - Wroclaw

Feel free to ask for advice but unfortunately it won't be possible to do the return in a single pass day.

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

Second return option I just thought about:

- IC from Sicily to Rome, arrival 18:34

- dinner in Rome: pizza ? ;)

- NJ Roma Termini - Vienna 20:10 - 09:17 around 15€ for a seat, 50€ couchette (recommended)

Then the second day a Vienna - Wroclaw ticket shouldn't be too expensive.

Also possible to take a regular ferry across the Messina Strait (few €) and then a higher speed train to Rome (13€ reservation). You'd arrive earlier in the capital and there's a bit at 300 km/h!

Badge +4

thank you, but as I understand it, for the first trip it’s better to go to Rome at most, you won’t have to buy anything other than a reservation, otherwise I won’t have time to see Venice and spend the night there, thank you, but to get there I can only see this route in Katania

I guess you'll have to buy tickets at some point as you don't have enough pass days.

- pass day 1 : Wroclaw - Verona

- pass day 2 : Verona - Venice - Bologna (where you board the night train to Sicily)

You wake up right before the last European train-ferry and then you're in Sicily!

To get back you'll need at least 2 pass days so that's where things get complicated.

Buy a ticket for whichever journey is cheaper:

- night train Sicily - Bologna/Milan

- Bologna/Milan - Wroclaw (probably best value to use the pass day here)

Or you could do something else:

- ticket: night train up to Milan

- pass day: Milan - Tirano - Bernina railway (stunning!) - ... - Feldkirch/Bregenz - new night train to Vienna (look up mini cabins, they're good and cheap on that route)

- ticket: Vienna - Wroclaw

Feel free to ask for advice but unfortunately it won't be possible to do the return in a single pass day.

Badge +4

Badge +4

and I’m need print ticket? Not this is Italy, not Austria, why?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

You can show the ÖBB reservation from your phone, it's fine.

ÖBB cannot book Italian night trains. Check Rail Europe.

ÖBB will show the fastest route only. For example if you visit Venice in the morning/afternoon you can do as follows:

- RE Venezia S. Lucia - Bologna Centrale

- ICN Bologna Centrale - Catania updating

(I haven't checked availability)

Badge +4

This is the error it gives if you look at it today, either it’s because of the strike or you really need to book in advance, but I don’t really like booking a couple of days in advance

Badge +4

Although no, the error is only for night trains, for daytime trains everything is fine

This is the error it gives if you look at it today, either it’s because of the strike or you really need to book in advance, but I don’t really like booking a couple of days in advance