Solved

Inbound and outbound journey by nighttrain

• 3 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Hello,

The interrail rules are saying that I only have to use one in- or outbound journey when I travel by night train. The date of departure is the evening when the night train departs. 

Does the in- or outbound journey still counts when I take, after the night train, other trains during the day of arrival by night train? 

For example: I leave on Saturday evening and arrive on Sunday morning by night train. On Sunday I travel further with other trains. Does those other trains still count as the inbound journey? 

Thank you for answering!

Kristoff

icon

Best answer by ralderton 3 March 2023, 16:39

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

Assume this is arriving into your country of residence?

A night train only uses up the day of departure, and you can stay on board until it reaches its destination. But if you take another train *after* the night train, it uses another day.

If you already used both your outbound/ inbound day, then your pass can't be used for further travel.

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

If you take a new train on the arrival day of the night train, then that will be a new travel day. You can travel on a maximum of two travel days in your country of residence. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +4

In the other direction, if you are leaving your country of residence on a night train, then you can travel domestically to get to the departure point and it all counts as one travel day.

On arrival at your destination, if you take any more trains you will use another travel day. (But not an outbound/ inbound day).

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When you board another train after midnight, you need a new travel day.

Whether you need another home country day after your night train when returning home depends on the time the night train crosses the border. If that is after midnight, then 1 home country day is enough, but you have to split up the journey because of a bug in the app. You'll still need two travel days of course.