Solved

Interrail on private train operators in Sweden

Hello

I am going around in circles regarding which private operators in Sweden accept the pass. The list on the IR site says one thing, ACP (another retailer) shows a different one and when I asked about trains run by Kalmar länstrafik the train operator said they did despite it not being listed! Screenshots of lists / Facebook chat conversations. 

One operator Mälartåg who operate around Västerås aren’t listed. Their social media says contact SJ as “they manage IR in Sweden” and SJ can’t help.

Years ago when I sold European Rail tickets, we had access to the InterRail annexe which had far more comprehensive information than was ever published on the pass guides / T&Cs. Is there access to this at all to verify the full list? 

Thank you

Phil Richards. 

icon

Best answer by AnnaB 5 May 2022, 20:20

View original

16 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Mälartåg doesn't seem to be included, see this recent discussion:

As to Kalmar länstrafik: @Nanja, do you have any more information?

Userlevel 7
Badge +5

KLT is NOT a train-operator, but like in SE ALL the ¨läner=provinces have their own verbund-style local network and contract the trains/buses out to mostly SJ or others. SO KLT (or BlekingeTrafik or NorrbottensTrafik or whatever) does not run /have any trains.

Major exceptions in SE are-since the very beginning- local trains around STO from SL (pendeltag-also contracted out) and the fairly new hi-speed competitor on STO-GÖt by MTR. In the past it was decided that IN SE all train contractors that took over lines from SJ would continue to accept passes-very much like in UK or NL or DE. But as MTR then got suddenly the contract for these commuterlines to STO from around, it may have led to confusions. I have not seen any definite answer to that.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I am checking it with the relevant team, I will get back to you as soon as I know more. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I live in Sweden and I have now sent a question to Mälartåg regarding IR. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I have now received the answer from the customer service at Mälartåget. The reply is that Mälartåget NOT is included in the Interrail offer at the moment, but that it hopefully will be included in the future.

Hej Anna,

Vi är idag inte anslutna till Inter Rail men Mälardalstrafik kommer se över möjligheten till att ansluta oss framöver.

Önskar dig en fin fortsatt dag!

Med vänliga hälsningar,

Ulrika

Mälartåg Kundservice
0771-22 44 40
malartag.se

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Interesting response, they will look into it themselves. @Marion maybe Eurail/Interrail can also contact them and inform them about the possibilities?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

On some distances in Sweden there are several rail companies running . E.g from Stockholm to Norrköping most trains are run by Mälartåg (not included in IR), but there are some trains run by SJ, both "snabbtåg" which require a reservation, and IC train which you can use without reservation. This means that you have to check carefully what rail company your departure is run by.

Thank you to all for your help on this. Little bit annoying that Märlartåg despite being similar to other regional operators across Sweden who accept IR (& Eurail) aren’t in the scheme. Unfortunately they are the only operator on the routes I’m travelling with and it pushes the cost of the trip up by another €50 or so. Fortunately I was already aware that the Stockholm local trains (SL) weren’t included in IR but a 72 hour pass including all other public transport in quite a wide area of Stockholm county is only SEK330 (€32). 

I’ll be posting another question in the right section regarding IR One Country Pass for Germany and a missing operator.  

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

When will you be travelling and where in Sweden? I can see if there is a cheaper way than € 50 for your travel.

I leave on Monday 9 and will be using Märlartåg Saturday-Sunday-Monday 14-15-16 May. I’ve used the SJ site to price them up and they only seem to have a single price (unlike say SJ who have a range of dynamically priced ones for most routes) 

Legs are:
1. Arboga-Södertäjle Syd = SEK172
2. Flemingsberg-Västerås C via Flen = SEK214
3. Västerås C-Uppsala via Sala (which includes another carrier, UL not valid on the pass) = SEK207

I’ve expanded the price grids on the SJ site in the screenshots below. The timings and specific route of the trains are important! I’m a railfan and the trip is to cover many different lines in Sweden rather than sightseeing or visiting people!

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Ok. I see your point about wanting to cover as many lines as possible and not only going from point A to point B. Then you'll unfortunately just have to pay for the tickets for Mälartåget. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +3

Hi,

Just letting you know that all regional train traffic in Skåne, Blekinge, Kalmar, Halland, Västra Götaland, Jönköping, including Kustpilen, Krösatågen, Pågatågen, Västtågen and Öresundståg is included in the pass. Cheers,

Thanks. I had no problems on any train I used in Sweden with the pass. One conductor on a Skånetrafiken service wasn’t aware of the digital pass and insisted I had to have it printed out. 

So UppTåget, Mälartåg and ÖstgötaTrafiken are the only “mainline” operators not accepting the pass which might catch some travellers out. Plus of Storstockholms Lokaltrafik though less likely seeing they run buses, trams and Metro. The latter have a good value 3 day pass. 

Hi All, 

I recently contacted Mälartåg by email and they confirmed to me that they are now part of the Interrail and Eurail scheme. You just turn up on the day. Seems good to me. 

This link also confirms that they have now joined the scheme. 
https://malartag.se/nyheter/res-med-interrail-pa-malartag/

Happy travels 

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

I recently contacted Mälartåg by email and they confirmed to me that they are now part of the Interrail and Eurail scheme. You just turn up on the day. Seems good to me. 

This link also confirms that they have now joined the scheme. 
https://malartag.se/nyheter/res-med-interrail-pa-malartag/​​​

Great! @Marion will you update the website to reflect this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +9

Hi,

Just letting you know that all regional train traffic in Skåne, Blekinge, Kalmar, Halland, Västra Götaland, Jönköping, including Kustpilen, Krösatågen, Pågatågen, Västtågen and Öresundståg is included in the pass. Cheers,

@Marion The list of included trains in Sweden on the website does not include all of the regional companies mentioned above, neither is Snälltåget on the list.